Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellas" i own the manual but cannot find how to change the final drive lube? any help? thanks guys. you all have made owning a cx very helpfull.

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Which manual do you have? The procedure is well-documented in the factory service manual. It can be downloaded from here.

You may want to consider using synthetic gear lube in the final drive. Mine ran cooler and quieter after making the change from regular gear oil.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I used Mobil 1 synthetic but only after a complete flush with diesel + a little B-12 left overnight.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Don't be tempted to overfill the drive box.It can lead to blowing the seals.Just top up until it flows out of the inspection cover.The type of oil is embossed on the drive box.

HTH

·
Super Moderator
15,399 Posts
It's funny how a lot of us never do this but when we do the shock of it only needing a few ounces of oil is funny.

There is a drain bolt on the bottom. Open that up and drain with the bike on the centerstand. Open the inspection cap. I spin the wheel a few times. Then put the drain plug back in and fill at the inspection hole till it becomes level. Place the cap back on and wipe up any oil that may have spilled. Ride the bike for a while and then do it again. Probably good for many years.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
probably not an option,if your weather is bad.but,its a lot easier,and better to change the oil after a good run,then its nice and warm,more will drain out

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
It's funny how a lot of us never do this but when we do the shock of it only needing a few ounces of oil is funny.

There is a drain bolt on the bottom. Open that up and drain with the bike on the centerstand. Open the inspection cap. I spin the wheel a few times. Then put the drain plug back in and fill at the inspection hole till it becomes level. Place the cap back on and wipe up any oil that may have spilled. Ride the bike for a while and then do it again. Probably good for many years.

The drive box uses so little I do it every time I change my main engine oil Don.I just do a mini-service e.g

Engine oil/filter every other oil change.

Drive box

Cam-chain adjust

Tappet check and adjust if required

Check head bolt torques.

Coolant every couple of 3 years unless extremely high mileage.

Brake fluid every couple of three years.

20w fork oil if damping seems slack but lasts for ages.

As the main engine oil and drive box oil drain I'm doing the rest so it doesn't take long

1 - 7 of 7 Posts