Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how do you get the bike on the center stand? i tried rolling it backward and getting a litle speed then jumping on it and it just stops the bike. i trie stepping on it and lifing the back? not strong enough to lift that much with one arm while i hold the handle bars straight with the other. i always wind up lifting the bike with a floor jack then putting it down. is there some trick to it?

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Read THIS

Also, it is best to make sure both feet of the center stand are evenly on the ground, at the same time, BEFORE you apply the thrust. I do this by lightly leaning the bike back over to the right with my hip as I am grasping the left handle bar grip, and the rear rack bar or whatever point you have on the right hand. Remember, NO movement until both the center stand feet are in contact...then its a breeze.

·
Super Moderator
23,718 Posts
Push down HARD on the stand lever with your right foot. The stand will do most of the lifting.

Guide the bike with your left hand on the left handlegrip and aid lifting at the back with your right hand under the grab bar or the frame under the back of the seat if you don't have a grab bar.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
roll the rear wheel of the bike onto a piece of 4 x 2 layed flat -

then put the centrestand down and roll it off the back of the 4 x 2

gives you an extra 2" lift.....

I'd also check your centrestand for ease of movement - sometimes they get a little rusty from lack of use...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
how do you get the bike on the center stand? i tried rolling it backward and getting a litle speed then jumping on it and it just stops the bike. i trie stepping on it and lifing the back? not strong enough to lift that much with one arm while i hold the handle bars straight with the other. i always wind up lifting the bike with a floor jack then putting it down. is there some trick to it?
it is known that the gl is harder than a cx.update your signiture line.include your bikes details and your location.it helps others answer your questions easier.

if,after all the advice,you still cannot do it,forget about the jack.ride your back wheel up on to a 2inch piece of board,then try.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Pull left hand grip until at the tank, full lock. All your weight on the centre stand, and right hand under grab rail or seat, and then one swift movement, she's up. Make sure both feet of the stand are on solid ground.

If you have a Euro, buy a crane and a lifting harness.....

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Once you do it a few times- it's pretty easy.... I couldn't put mine on the stand for the first month or so I had it because I was afraid of being too hard on old motorcycle parts. Then I see this kid @ work who probably weighs all of 100lbs with a brand new goldwing pop his onto the center stand like nothing.

you'll get it.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Excellent video, I would add however to lift PRIMARILY using the leg by pressing down really hard rather than trying to jerk the bike up. This will save your back which should be a straight as possible. This advice is from a 20+ years experience athletic trainer.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am 73 years old and all my Hondas just pop up on the centerstand pretty easily.

The BMW, not so easy. I can do it but it is hard to do and I sometimes fail to get

it on the stand the first try. The BMW is sold, I hope. A little practice will make

it seem easy, it is mostly technique and not much force.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I don't do much lifting with my arms at all on my GL. Basically I just hang on to the left handlebar grip with my left hand and the rail behind my seat with my right hand. I then rock the bike right to left gently to make sure both toes of the center stand are touching at the same time and PRESS DOWN HARD WITH MY RIGHT FOOT on the center stand. The bike just pops over. My right foot does all the work pressing the centerstand into the ground or garage floor.

I've even does this barefoot once I learned the technique. Don't screw around with 2 X 4s; you don't need them and they're not always around when you need one.

FWIW, I got a guy at the Honda shop to show me how it was done after I frustrated myself insane trying to muscle it over. Turns out it was fairly easy.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
[quote name='Jay Hanig' date='03 April 2011 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1301876915' post='57611']

I've even does this barefoot once I learned the technique.

This is the technique I use as well..... but I won't go near the bike barefoot... lol

·
Registered
382 Posts
Jay Hanig' date='03 April 2011 - 06:28 PM' timestamp='1301876915' post='57611 said:

I've even does this barefoot once I learned the technique.

This is the technique I use as well..... but I won't go near the bike barefoot... lol

Pansy.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Jeez!! Next thing I know you'll be saying I ride/ park like a GIRL!!!! LMAO

Nah, I have a screw in my foot. Actually, tomorrow will be 11 years since I broke it- so since then I've been very cautious about where my feet are and what sort of foot protection I have. I can't wear certain shoes/ flip flops because my foot starts to hurt, and I won't mess around with the bike unless I have my boots on.. LOL

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks for all the advice guys, i will try it out when i get home from work tomorrow

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I am 73 years old and all my Hondas just pop up on the centerstand pretty easily.

The BMW, not so easy. I can do it but it is hard to do and I sometimes fail to get

it on the stand the first try. The BMW is sold, I hope. A little practice will make

it seem easy, it is mostly technique and not much force.
Dry, my BMW is 890lbs. My bike snaps right up onto the center stand and no mine doesn't have that hydraulic lift accessory either. It is a little harder with the trailer behind the bike though.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hey that guy in the video makes that bike look like a toy, however that is a good video of how to do it, Gusbrat also remember that if it is dry and non lubricated down there it will make for a rougher motion when putting the center stand to use i always make sure mine is not rusty and lightly lubed up for free movement

·
Registered
227 Posts
Like everyone has said, the 'trick' is getting BOTH ends of the centerstand making contact with the pavement (slightly rocking the bike away from you as you press down on the stand)...then putting all your weight on your right foot as you press down and guide the bike up with your right hand.

I note that it is a LOT harder for me to describe than it is for me to do - lol

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.