Honda CX 500 Forum banner

center stand removal

10K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CXPHREAK 
#1 ·
Hi Folks, I have stripped the entire Bike down ready for the Frame to go off to the Powder Coater and I can't get the Center stand off. I have removed the two pinch bolts but the spindle won't shift. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

#2 ·
Spindle won't shift? Hit it with a drift!

One side has a flange (Right?) the other side does not (Left?) Hit the side that does not have a flange with a drift punch and a hammer it will move, also you may want to open the pinch bolts a little with a big screw driver or a small pry bar, use some spray lube as well. Once it starts to move it will be a cinch.

Rusty

#3 ·
With Honda centre (sorry, center) stands (and probably other lesser makes too), all due to the lack of a bit of waterproof grease, the stand pivot tube usually ends up rusting nice and solidly into the stand itself (well, they certainly do here in the UK with the amount of salt they use on our roads in the winter!). The tube should slide out reasonably easily, but rarely do.

Keep hitting the unflanged end of the tube too hard and you'll either seriously damage the part of the frame the stand is attached to, or, if it doesn't move at all, you'll burr over the end, and it won't then pass through the stand.

The tube's quite a close sliding fit in the stand, so capillary action draws water in all along the length, rust then starts, bonding the two together quite nicely.

Been there, cut stands off more than one bike..........

http://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/stand-cx500-1979-usa_bighu0112f5023_7c20.gif

#4 ·
I pounded mine out (1980 CXC) by catching the edge with a long (18") 1/4" brass rod from the left side (no flange). The brass rod dinged up the end a bit, but not so badly that it would not come out. Although I was fortunate, there was no rust to deal with. This was done with the right side exhaust cone removed, but otherwise the bike was intact. Putting it back on may be more difficult.

#7 ·
Good for you, it's liberating to cut something off. I use a paddock stand for home service work and storage to keep the bike upright. Side stand for traveling stops. I mounted the paddock stand spools by extending the lower shock mount bolt (left side) and stud (right side) that way the bike is lifted equally and is stable.

Cheers, 50gary

#8 ·
I have the same problem whilst stripping the entire bike but this pivot won't come off the centre stand. Even brute force would not persuade it getting out. So my plan is carefully cutting a furrow into the centre stand, fill it with some oil and wait a few days.

#12 ·
Sometimes it may be wise to consede ... corrosion may be stronger than me this time, nothing helped getting it out, will cut the pivot at both ends and replace the entire stand.
Then the frame will have to tolerate some rust and color removal, possibly blasting and will then get a nice new coating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.