Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Is that a yes Mark?
Or thumbs up for hoping?.

Imho..The ignitechs are really just a "twin module"...just the instructions supplied are cx specific

·
Super Moderator
24,026 Posts
Not a yes John, but rather a question I have been going to ask here.

Can we use a CDI from {for example} a CB400T?

Ray may have some insight here if he happens to spot this thread.

I imagine the bike will run just fine with one possible caveat - the advance curve.

I think the advance parameters may be different BUT that may depend on how the CDI interacts with the high/low speed pulsers and advance coils. Where, electronically speaking, are these decisions made?

If by the advance unit alone all should be the same but how the actual CDI unit handles this may be the glitch on the porcelain.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
When you have a simple , new , ten-minute fix called Ignitec - why would you bother with 40 year old parts of 40 year old other bikes?

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Super Moderator
24,026 Posts
I would if I happened to aquire one in a box of parts.

I run stock CDI on a couple of mine. Once set up with tested parts I've had no issues.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
When you have a simple , new , ten-minute fix called Ignitec - why would you bother with 40 year old parts of 40 year old other bikes?
Yah i agree... just intrusted if it'll work....
That opens up the whole question of Nos...if its not solid metal is it worth it .....
Ignore the typos im catching up with music mates....no time for spellcheck😃

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,978 Posts
And then there is the issue of the component's connector and even if that is the same the "pinout" (which pin of the connector is connected to which part of the device).....
It might be possible but at what point is it more trouble than it is worth?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts