Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 1981 CX500 custom, while in the local honda shop, the owner said that they have a cx500 in the back that someone dropped off for repair and has been there for a long time. There is an ignition part that they cant find a replacement for. Im assuming its the CDI system that I read about in the reference section. If the CDI is bad, what are your options? Is finding a used CDI system the only option? Below is the quote from the reference section.

IGNITION

All 78-80 CX models, and the 81 C and D models, use a CDI (Capacitive Discharge Ignition) system. This is run by a black or gold-colored “brain box” under the seat, which is a point of failure as these bikes age. There is no modern replacement currently available. The black and gold boxes can be freely interchanged among any of these models, as can the coils.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
You (and the shops other customer) sound like prime candidates for the Ignitech units that replace the CDI completely. There was just a recently ended group buy in the buy/sell section coordinated by Cobram who gets these from the Czech republic, for around $165 or so. Perhaps there are some extras.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
I have a CDI that I just removed from an 81 x500D. There were no problems and it worked fine. I also have a pair of coils and spark caps that I have replaced the aluminum rods and resisters with brass rods resulting in almost no resistance.

If you have interest PM me.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I would personally check the bike over with a multimeter - if the bike won't start - then you could need to replace the alternator because of bad charging coils, that was my problem with my 81 cx500 custom, but I still kept riding it until the high voltage coils started to fail, then replaced it. If it's a CDI - borrow a know good CDI unit, to check that is the problem....

you need to make sure what the problem is before you buy an ignitech unit... you may still need to drop the motor, if so you replace however you see fit...depending on the problem...

good luck with it

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I would personally check the bike over with a multimeter - if the bike won't start - then you could need to replace the alternator because of bad charging coils, that was my problem with my 81 cx500 custom, but I still kept riding it until the high voltage coils started to fail, then replaced it. If it's a CDI - borrow a know good CDI unit, to check that is the problem....

you need to make sure what the problem is before you buy an ignitech unit... you may still need to drop the motor, if so you replace however you see fit...depending on the problem...

good luck with it

Sure checking isn't bad. But if the charging circuit is fine the ignitech will do the rest. And then if a replacement is needed then a cheaper g8 stator can be used instead of the g47.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Well, considering Opera finally came out with a v11 browser I decided to turn PM capability back on to see if it works, it only hung things up in v10.x

Would be interested in the CDI box as well as the stator if you replaced it as well.

Coils for these are a dime a dozen but if it would all fit into a flat rate shipping box shoot me a price. Sent you an e-mail and tried out the PM once I figued out how to turn it on again.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The shop owner is going to want the diagnostic charge in the very least, but if it's been there forever he might accept half of it.

He's going to have to go through a "mechanic's lien" in order to get it such that he can legally sell it but then you won't have a title.

Try to get him to contact the owner and get the title, not having one makes it a hassle in most every state. I once bought a car that way and I had to step through all sorts of hoops to get it legally back on the road after I replaced a simple rocker arm stud. Around here that involves the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) to send out a registered letter to the last previous owner on record as well as checking for any liens and give them 30 days to reply, after no replies (or we don't want it replies) then they'll issue you a new title with all the paperwork. Simple matter of getting a proper title from there, insurance and then you can get a tag.

Makes sense and it's only for your protection, if you buy something without a title the PO can still report is as stolen or may have already thus if you're caught with it then it's put into impound and a war begins. Only paid $200 for the car, $1 for the part (valve cover gasket was reusable) and in about an hour's worth of time it was a totally clean driver that ran well. If I recall I ended up selling it for $650 so, considering labor time and all the tag & insurance hassles I probably did nothing more than break even. I bought it on the premise of a car for my previous girlfriend's son but he didn't have the money to even kick in the $100 I wanted as a down payment on it. Told him I wasn't going to give the thing away after what I had invested in it so he eventually talked someone from one of the Tribes into giving him an old Ford Taurus that was not only on its last leg but had an expired tag and no insurance. He drove it that way for quite a while, if I recall the car gave up long before he was caught for the expired tag. Had he been caught they would have towed it anyway, an expired tag isn't so bad around here but no insurance not only puts the car into jail but also you.

Our backwards state finally figured out a way to check to see if you've got insurance just by your tag #, too many people were forging insurance cards. I sure wish they had that system in place when a guy virtually totaled my Pace Car but after it happened he pushed his badly injured girlfriend behind the wheel of his truck. Once she was semi-recovered at the hospital they came and wrote her 14 tickets. There were already warrants out for his arrest for no DL and driving without insurance but I'm sure they caught up with him over time. Too late for me, if the sucker had been legal my $30K Pace Car (+$5K worth of mods) would have been repaired instead of now in storage so the only bright side was that I got my '96 GTP at auction for around $4K. Not a 12.9 second 1/4 mile car by any means but plenty fast enough and the handling, considering it was one of the 3,704 that had the Corvette suspension, sort of makes up for that. In time the Pace Car will be restored but I figure it's going to cost around $6K to do it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Seems like everyone is jumping to conclusions here. I didn't see anywhere where the original poster said that the guy wasn't going to pay the shop. He may be wanting them to finish fixing it and then pay them what he owes.

Any talk about mechanics liens and the shop selling it off is just nonsense.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.