Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a place you can get a new source coil from? On the stator I am working on, the low speed source coil has an open circuit. I traced it to the coil and popped it off the stator. If anyone knows of a place I can get one, please let me know.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I'd be surprised if you could find them new 40 years on
but its not that hard to rewind them
I rewound one on one of my lads bikes after some clumsy dumbass
who will remain anonymous ripped the coil
( nobody saw me do it you cant prove nuthin)
What i did
I measured the thickness of the windings to asses the gauge and noted to direction it was wound in
then ordered a coil of magnet wire the same gauge as near as
I still have the spool here it was 250G of 0.18mm 33AWG but that wasnt for a CX mind you
and I could have done it easily with 125g

Next I stripped the bobbin down and cleaned/degunked it while I was waiting
With the new wire ready I made some initial loops and twisted them together for
mechanical strength and easier soldering to the inner terminal
then sat down and gently but firmly rewound the Bobbin so the wire took up
approximately the same volume as before.
I also used occaisional dabs of transformer varnish to stick the wires together as I wound it
Finally I looped and twisted the wire into a beefier outer terminal end and taped it up
with final coat of varnish.
Next day I refitted to the stator and soldered it to the harness using heat shrink and dabs of
varnish for added protection
Epoxy is an option of course

I didnt count turns and the resistance readings were near enough
It worked just fine and for all I know still is

HTH

BTW that's glass tape I used not insulating tape

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
Is this the pickup on the advance plate in the TI ignition? With an accurate winding count, wire spec, and dimensions, it shouldn't be too hard to 3D print the bobbin and wind a new one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is for a CDI source coil, there are two of them on the stator. One is for high speed power to the CDI and the other is for low speed power. On the low speed, the coil has an open circuit. I need to find either a full replacement coil, 100 ohms, or I need to find the bobbin. The one I took off broke on one side. I might be able to gets some high temp plastic and make a replacement, glue it on the broken bobbin. Otherwise it would be a real pain to try and rewire with it still broken off. So, if anyone knows any place I can get one from, please let me know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd be surprised if you could find them new 40 years on
but its not that hard to rewind them
I rewound one on one of my lads bikes after some clumsy dumbass
who will remain anonymous ripped the coil
( nobody saw me do it you cant prove nuthin)
What i did
I measured the thickness of the windings to asses the gauge and noted to direction it was wound in
then ordered a coil of magnet wire the same gauge as near as
I still have the spool here it was 250G of 0.18mm 33AWG but that wasnt for a CX mind you
and I could have done it easily with 125g

Next I stripped the bobbin down and cleaned/degunked it while I was waiting
With the new wire ready I made some initial loops and twisted them together for
mechanical strength and easier soldering to the inner terminal
then sat down and gently but firmly rewound the Bobbin so the wire took up
approximately the same volume as before.
I also used occaisional dabs of transformer varnish to stick the wires together as I wound it
Finally I looped and twisted the wire into a beefier outer terminal end and taped it up
with final coat of varnish.
Next day I refitted to the stator and soldered it to the harness using heat shrink and dabs of
varnish for added protection
Epoxy is an option of course

I didnt count turns and the resistance readings were near enough
It worked just fine and for all I know still is

HTH

BTW that's glass tape I used not insulating tape
Thanks. The bobbin is broken. Know anywhere I can get another?

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
It is for a CDI source coil, there are two of them on the stator. One is for high speed power to the CDI and the other is for low speed power. On the low speed, the coil has an open circuit. I need to find either a full replacement coil, 100 ohms, or I need to find the bobbin.
Are there separate bobbins for those windings? I thought they were wound directly onto the core.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are there separate bobbins for those windings? I thought they were wound directly onto the core.
The source bobbins are wound around a plastic core that has a rectangular hole formed in the middle. The bobbin slides over the stator metal core or post. The plastic bobbin is about 16mm tall, 25mm long, and 16mm wide. That is what I really need if not a complete bobbin.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I can print one for you, if you can supply exact dimensions. PETG (polester), ABS, ASA (an inprovement on ABS). All are thermoplastics, but print above 230C, so should handle the engine oil temps.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can send a CAD diagram to you with the measured dimensions. If the cost is too high though, to me it wouldn't be worth it.

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
A g8 stator with either igitech or a ray san module come to mind. G47 stators are getting hard to find. I would never try to reuse a 40 yr old stator with out a total rewind. There is also an outfit (forgot name) that does rewinds

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have to admit I wouldn't want a CDI CX again and would immediately
want to convert it to TI/Ignitech/RaeSan.
If I really had to, I'd get a craft knife and make a bobbin from thick gasket paper and
glued it up and reinforce it with JB weld.
I did that on my prototype TI pulser experiments and they were damn fiddly wee things.
Source coil bobbins are much bigger and so would be much easier to make and when potted
would work just fine.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I can send a CAD diagram to you with the measured dimensions. If the cost is too high though, to me it wouldn't be worth it.
That would be fine. I'll need all dimensions, thicknesses, radii, etc.
I have the material on hand, so cost would be shipping, at most. This might be a fun challenge.

·
Registered
9,456 Posts
I'll try to start on the model this weekend.
Unfortunately, my printer is down at the moment. It won't read the data card this morning. I'll try a work around, but might need to replace the main board.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts