Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Interest in a replacement board only?

• I'd be very intersted at that price

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I might (50%/50) be interested

• No interest or n/a, bought sn Ignitch or will just chance it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would anyone consider buy a replacement "CDI *only*, fully assembled and tested.

You'd just have to pick out a chassis box (same size or smaller) that the board would fit in and extend any wires that need be. I know other that have tried but never got it correct, I think I easily can for $50 + $5 shipping.

Remember this would be only be used to replace the CDI itself, it considers that your stator and coils, etc are all good. Might save you the cost of an Ignitech. Probably about 2 months out though, current concentration is on the fan controller. I *think* I've got the financing set up for the boards and parts meaning I can start rollout on the fan controller in about 2 weeks on kits, a bit longer on fully assembled & tested.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I don't think people should get their hopes up about a cheap replacement CDI unit.Dick in Raliegh before he sadly passed way was working on the same circuit lots of us have seen and didn't manage to make a working one.

"Rayman" in Australia has spent several years trying to make one and not succeeded.He has however made a,"Ray module" replacement for the High voltage part of the stator,

http://australiancx.asn.au/forum/index.php?topic=1725.0;highlight=module

And plenty of info on the Aus site about the problems making a working CDI unit.Just having the schematic is not enough.

http://australiancx.asn.au/forum/index.php?topic=341.0;highlight=ray+module

So far only,"Ignitech" have succeed and from all reports done a fantastic job even making the unit's ,"Programmable".

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I don't wish to pour water on anyone's ideas or efforts but

I would suggest testing a project like this in the real world first.

I've had a few projects working well on the bench that

struggled or fell over in real world testing so bitter experience

has taught me to wait until an idea has proved itself in use before going any further.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I don't wish to pour water on anyone's ideas or efforts but

I would suggest testing a project like this in the real world first.

I've had a few projects working well on the bench that

struggled or fell over in real world testing so bitter experience

has taught me to wait until an idea has proved itself in use before going any further.

Good point Reg.This seems to be the biggest downfall.It all looks good on paper but as soon as they are used they fall over

Even last year I posted on one of my electronics forums and no one took up the challenge so that tells it's own story IMHO.

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
What about packaging both CDI in the same box?

You're confusing transistorized later ignition which uses 2 sparker boxes with the single CDI setup used on the earlier CX's.

There was one guy I know of who made one that worked...for a while, it crapped out in less than a year and was useful only as an emergency backup. Ferro made one that worked, but said it was an exercise in futility, but it worked. There was some clown selling a homemade CDI on fleabay a while back, and it came complete with a piece of plywood it was mounted onto which you had to bungee it to the gas tank.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Look those bungees were included at my own cost OK?

and it wasnt plywood it was pressure treated

Medium density Fibreboard

I was offering a self adhesive magnet option too y'know

you only had to ask....................

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Look those bungees were included at my own cost OK?

and it wasnt plywood it was pressure treated

Medium density Fibreboard

I was offering a self adhesive magnet option too y'know

you only had to ask....................

Fridge Magnet?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Fridge Magnet?

I put my money on static magnet. Notice his self portrait. Prior to ******* I suspect the cardboard backed device had been vigorously rubbed upon his head as he sipped his beer. The device was then slapped to the side of a tank to hold for a 'good long time'. The problem for most persons is that they simply are not as well endowed follicularly. Not to worry as there are always more to be had!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about packaging both CDI in the same box?
Theres only one CDI unit per bike and $300 for the Ausrilian is totally out of line. If I can sell them on eBay for $129 we can sell them to ourselves far cheaper.

Come on, click the poll button, it helps me to secure seed money by demonstrating interest.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.