Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a few people ask about this with the Ignitech group buys. They'd like to mount the Ignitech in the housing for the old CDI box to have the OEM look. I don't get this, as your arse can't see under the seat anyway

I know 'stitch and a few others have posted about removing the epoxy or whatever they used. Has anyone found something you can just soak the thing in to dissolve the stuff? Damage to electrical components and wiring wouldn't matter, since they'll get tossed anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
I did pull the guts out of one the hard way. I ended up taking a deep razor blade and cut slits around the edge of the cdi then I stuck a screwdriver in as deep as I could get it so I could get it under the board and pryed it out.

If I had to do it again I would probably take it outside and heat the casing with a torch till it got hot enough and just pull the guts out.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Ok so I just spent the last 30 minutes with a screwdriver and eventually got all the guts out just fine. The question I am left with is will the ignitech actually fit into the old cdi housing. I measured the inside and it's 2 1/2 x 3 1/2. And remember the stock cdi the wires came out the back but with the ignitech it's the side.

Someone else made up a dummy box so theirs wouldn't vibrate around and it looked fine. Might be a better option.

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Oh now that it's posts gone wild for me. I will say that I soaked the epoxy in brake fluid, Acetone, mineral spirits, iso alcohol, muriatic acid and a few more things and the epoxy doesn't dissolve. At one time Melody thought I was going nuts since I had glass jars of stuff above the sink so I could watch the effects.

All any of them did was soften the epoxy and not like a jelly. It just made it easier to skim 1/16 to 1/8th of a layer off with a pick.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I looked for nifty ways to remove potting compound when we used to try and repair CDIs

pre Ignitech days

Basically, anything that will easily dissolve potting comound is

illegal and or dangerous to use.

Even if you could. the Ignitechs shape and cable routing doesnt lend itself to

sit inside the old box.

Anythings possible I suppose but really not worth the time and effort involved.

What I felt would be useful when we fitted Trevs were 'boots'

to keep the weather/crap out of the connectors.

That would be a worthwhile project IMO

As I recall the wiring was Ok but a bit hobbygrade.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
From that page

"The other method is to immerse the encapsulated component in Methylene Chloride. This solvent is hard to obtain as it has been declared a carcinogen. The user must take all precautions to prevent contact with skin and not to inhale the vapours while using this product. Methylene Chloride will cause the encapsulant to swell and become soft for removal. Unfortunately, since printed circuit boards and many electronic components are also encapsulated with epoxy, they will also be damaged or destroyed by this solvent."

As I said, illegal or dangerous

·
Registered
29 Posts
Oh now that it's posts gone wild for me. I will say that I soaked the epoxy in brake fluid, Acetone, mineral spirits, iso alcohol, muriatic acid and a few more things and the epoxy doesn't dissolve. At one time Melody thought I was going nuts since I had glass jars of stuff above the sink so I could watch the effects.

All any of them did was soften the epoxy and not like a jelly. It just made it easier to skim 1/16 to 1/8th of a layer off with a pick.

Meth Cook!!

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Meth Cook!!

You watch "Breaking Bad" too.
Excellent series.

Thanks for the input on epoxy removal, I've already pointed the few interested in it to this thread.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.