Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post and I am really excited to be part of the group here. I have a 1980cx500 Ive been riding for about 3 years and Has been my favorite bike.
Added a windjammer vetter fairing and I love it. Have a bunch of bikes in various stages of projects (some even run!) I really enjoy working on them

Over the 3 years I have had to clean the carbs seasonally and replace the Coils the old ones would heat soak and now want to start the bike untill they cooled down.

I pulled the carb a week ago to clean for the season and that went smoothly except for installing the carb and realizing the throttle and choke cables were hanging outside the bike still. pulled and then put the carb back properly and then went to start and nothing.

Checked for spark and I got a hint of a spark for a second on one cylinder and then nothing. tested to cylinder head bolts frame bolts everywhere the cable would reach. pulled and checked the kill switch for a fault but no issues there.

Been looking online for solutions and came across this forum and what people recommend doing so far and here is what I've got so far
I tested the stator with a multimeter and these are my readings

1/5 .108
2/5 .092
3/5 .206
4/5 .109
6/5 .092
7/5 .202
9/5 .516
9/8 .076

they all seem in range except 9/5 the low speed source coil is a bit high

after that I tested the leads coming from the cdi box too see how many volts I was getting I saw that normal is around 150 and I was getting almost 0 on one side and 1.8 on the other.

Last season it was running rough towards the end but I though it was a bad batch of gas but I'm thinking that was the start of the CDI going out.

If the CDI is the case and I need to replace it the Ignitech looks like it should be a great option From what I have see it would be a good plug and play option. I really dont want to have to mess with the stator.

I would love to hear anyones input and advice the ignitech replacement and if I missed something obvious.

Thanks!

·
Registered
Working on a 79 CX500
1 Posts
I seem to have the same problem you are having. My friend has a 79 cx500 and it just lost spark on both cylinders one day. He does have a Rei-San CDI power supply installed, but it seems to have some problems and we're looking at alternatives. Here are the specs I got using an autorange multimeter:

1/5: 118.5
2/5: 96.5
3/5: 213.6
4/5: 115.6
6/5: 95.0
7/5: 215.3
9/5: 143.9k
9/8: 86.1

From my understanding, the solution would be to either replace the stator or install an Ignitech unit. I don't think your CDI is going out, I just think it may not be getting enough power from the blue and/or white wires coming from the stator to tell the CDI when to spark? I could be wrong on that, but I'll be watching this thread for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
The high 5/9 readings suggest that the coil for low speed operation have broken or corroded wires and the stators are fubar.

If the batteries are charging both are good candidates for ignitech or raesan ignitions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As of last season I have never had any issues with charging. I will go through this weekend and check as far as I can on the wiring to see if there is any corrosion but from what I've seen so far it looks alright.

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
I actually meant to the stator windings.

These motors can get corrosion up the back due to mech seal leaks {especially with water in the cooling system and a blocked weep hole}, water getting in through the stator wiring grommets and condensation.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually meant to the stator windings.

These motors can get corrosion up the back due to mech seal leaks {especially with water in the cooling system and a blocked weep hole}, water getting in through the stator wiring grommets and condensation.
that makes sense.

so it seems like the ignitech would be my best option and would take care of the issue with the low speed coil issue right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
im sure its been discussed on here but I never have good luck with searching. does anyone know a good thread where the ignitech or raesan ignitions have been discussed as a replacement with pros and cons and all that good stuff

·
Registered
1,620 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am going to go with the ignitech I found them on ebay but am going to try to go through their website directly.

anyone purchased one recently?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts