Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I recently joined the forum and its an awesome resource. I recently bought a cx that already had the swap done with the CBR 16" front wheel and was looking to put a 18 or 19" Comstar or similar wheel. The CBR Hurricane forks (not USD) have a 20mm OD axle I believe, as well as dual disk brakes. Does anyone have experience with what wheels fit?
F2 FE1.jpg
F2 FE2.jpg
F2 FE3.jpg

·
Registered
265 Posts
I am about to put an F2 on a 78. To match the rear wheel I used a 78 goldwing 19" rim. There may be others but these are easier to find. Yes, you will need to change the wheel bearings to fit the axle. Save the sleeve off the old rim, you will need that and may have to trim it a couple of MMs off the length.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am about to put an F2 on a 78. To match the rear wheel I used a 78 goldwing 19" rim. There may be others but these are easier to find. Yes, you will need to change the wheel bearings to fit the axle. Save the sleeve off the old rim, you will need that and may have to trim it a couple of MMs off the length.
Thats what I figured, just wanted to make sure before I started ordering, thanks!

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
Assuming you have the 18" rear standard Comstar that I think I see in one of your photos, the best match will be the 19" standard Comstar from the '78 Goldwing. It also has dual disc brakes. If you want 18", look at a CM400.

Looking up the 1978 GL1000 front wheel bearings in a parts fiche, we see that they are a 6302UU.
Googling "bearing 6302" shows us that is a 15x42x13mm bearing.
Googling "bearing 20x42x13" (to account for your 20mm axle) we find that a 6004-26 or 10BM10 deep grove ball bearing is 20x42x13.4, which will fit both your CBR600 axle and GL1000 hub.
You'll need to work out the axle and caliper spacers.

Randall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Assuming you have the 18" rear standard Comstar that I think I see in one of your photos, the best match will be the 19" standard Comstar from the '78 Goldwing. It also has dual disc brakes. If you want 18", look at a CM400. Note that the GL1000 front is the same width (2.15") as your CX500 rear, which is a little odd, but at least it isn't wider. If you mount a narrower tire, it should be fine.

Looking up the 1978 GL1000 front wheel bearings in a parts fiche, we see that they are a 6302UU.
Googling "bearing 6302" shows us that is a 15x42x13mm bearing.
Googling "bearing 20x42x13" (to account for your 20mm axle) we find that a 6004-26 or 10BM10 deep grove ball bearing is 20x42x13.4, which will fit both your CBR600 axle and GL1000 hub.
You'll need to work out the axle and caliper spacers.

Randall
I do have the 18" rear, and thanks for the info on the bearings!

Another option that someone mentioned to me is to use a 16 inch rear from a newer cx to match the 16 inch cbr front. Any thoughts on this? This would make the brakes situation a whole lot simpler as well and from other posts I've read there isn't too much of an impact on the handling/performance.

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
How wide is the CBR front rim. You don't want your front to wider than the rear.
(I edited my previous post after you quoted it. From what I just found online, the '78 GW front is 1.85x19.)
I thought you were trying to match spoke patterns. If it's just a matter of wheel diameter, the 2.50x16 rear will bolt right on.

Randall

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How wide is the CBR front rim. You don't want your front to wider than the rear.
(I edited my previous post after you quoted it. From what I just found online, the '78 GW front is 1.85x19.)
I thought you were trying to match spoke patterns. If it's just a matter of wheel diameter, the 2.50x16 rear will bolt right on.

Randall
The CBR rim is 2.5 wide and is actually 17 in. Would this ride alright with the 16 inch rear?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts