Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, so I'm considering forking over (sweet pun, eh) a bunch of money for a complete 2008 CBR1000RR front end to put on my 1979 CX500D. The guy is parting out a whole, apparently running, bike. My question is, are there any other bits and pieces that would be worth getting from the CBR while I'm at it? My CX is almost bone stock now and the front end swap will be my first major change if I decide to go for it.

Front end swap question: besides new bearings, grinding off the CX steering lock, and moving the tank back a bit... Are there any other considerations I need to make for this front end swap? Do I actually need a new stem, or just bearings? Will the CBR controls work? If no, do the CX controls fit on the CBR clip ons... I'm assuming moving the tank back a bit will mean my stock seat won't fit anymore, and I assume I'll need to shorten my cables.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I did a swap with a 2005 cbr1000rr front end and the fork itself was mostly a direct swap. However, I had to modify the top nut, washer and bearing shield to be a bit thinner to get more threads to bite. Unfortunately I’m not too sure if there were any changes between 2005 and 2008.

Note that you will have to trim your steering stops to get the full steering range too.

As for the cbr controls, they will work, but a rewrite will be required. I did it myself and all worked well. Only problem is the engine shut cut is reversed.

The CX controls will just fit with a little over hang. Best to get longer coupons IMO.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts