Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Just read this article in Cycle Canada (April 2011) where a guy was describing his disappointment in 1982 for selecting the 'most advanced motorcycle of it's day' - the Yamaha Vision 500.

"I bought my Vision for $3700. I had the choice of black or silver. It was ugly in both colours. Ugly and expensive (ed note; My '82 CX was $2472 the same year). I told myself that it was the future of motorcycling. At least it looked better than Honda's CX500. Cycle World described the Vision as a sports tourer. Thats just what I wanted to be: a sporty tourer. I picked up my new bike and rode home. What a disappointment. Buyer's remorse was instant."

Apparently, there is a web forum like ours for the Vision - it's called "Men of Vision".... yeah, right.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
At least Yamaha had the good taste of taking the water pump mech seal from the CX. They are, as we know, identical, except price-wise.

A guy I know (on limited budget - maybe also with a nagging wife) has owned a 550 Vision for ages. Always talking about upgrading but nothing happens. "At least it´s something to rumble about on". So much for enthusiasm and pride!!

Sture

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Owned a Vision back in the 80's. Bought an '82 brand new in 1985 for $1500 and rode it to death. Really liked the bike especially at that price. They were a bit quirky but I've always like unusual looking bikes so this was my type. Surprised they are selling so high now though. I would have thought they were about the same as a CX.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've got a couple Visions sitting under the porch next to my GL500. One I bought from a friend because he needed money more than a bike, the other was a parts bike for $100 off of CL, has some relatively desirable 1983 Vision parts on it. Maybe too much information.

Had it running well for 2 summers, then it's had some troubles and I haven't sorted it out yet. Comparisons to CX/GL? A bit more eager for revs, lower RPM at speed, fueling is a bit quirky. Styling is a bit Night-Riderish for some, as opposed to the late 70s styling of the CX, arguably a wash there. The twin downdraft carbs are frequent sources of teeth-gnashing over at Riders of Vision, the forum probably previously mentioned. Just like this forum, there are blinkered fanatics of the model, enthusiasts, and a fair number of people who stumbled on cheap project bikes and stop by for help. Not quite the wild abandon for cafe or chopper mods there, but still a very similar forum, among the nicest and most knowledgeable of the sites I frequent. To be honest CX500s are mentioned occasionally as a similar model to the Vision.

Ragging on Vision owners is a little petty. Liquid-cooled V-twins of mid-displacement with shaft drive? semi-orphan bikes from the manufacturer, relatively short production runs and modest number of bikes sold? In several important ways they're similar bikes. Maybe just sibling rivarly. Besides, there are lots of $500 examples of both floating around, it's way too late for dick-waving about 1982 prices at this point.

Also, anyone who buys dealer prices for a new bike and is disappointed on the ride home didn't do his homework. Ugly and expensive are both judgements you can make without any seat time, if the dealer has your check and you just now realized those particular complaints you're on your own. Sounds like he had a hard-on for technology that overrode common-sense for what he truly desired for riding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.