Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Cause of water leak?

937 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  machinshin 
#1 ·
I know this is probably a stupid question, but been having one of those times lately where I'm struggling with just about everything I do seems like.

So anyways I ran my Turbo for a bit just idleing because it has sat for a while. I then noticed I seemed to be leaking coolant from a hole in the side of the engine. A quick scan through the service manual and I couldn't find any mention of it. So I thought I would ask here so I could get headed in the right direction. What is the cause of this?

Vehicle Auto part Car Automotive exterior Engine

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That's the spark plug well drain hole. It is there so that any water that gets past the boot that covers the top of the well can escape (if the well fills with water it will get past the spark plug cap boot and short the spark). If the water coming out of it is dirty you probably need to clean the dirt out of the well (remove the cap, wash the well out out and let it dry thoroughly before replacing the cap). Also, it is hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the upper boot is not as snug against the top of the rocker cover as it should be to keep it clean & dry in the well.

#3 ·
Ahh, ok. I was hoping it was something simple like that. I sadly don't have a great place to keep this. It has been in a shelter with a bike cover over it, but it is amazing the amount of filth that still finds it's way under all that. Was worried that I had a bad seal that was going to involve a lot of work to fix.

I will pull all that apart and clean it out good making sure everything goes back nice, dry and snug. Thanks for the help. I am really wanting to get out riding this year.

#5 ·
Yeah, I am not rushing things. Just already have list of other things to do on it as well. I noticed that while working on rebuilding the rear master cylinder. I have to get new tires on it as well. I have been dreading that due to the cost of new rubber for it. Will be my first time trying to change a motorcycle tire, but at $70 a tire for the local shop to mount and balance them... I will figure it out.

Just glad this didn't turn into something major to eat into my already limited funds.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.