Honda CX 500 Forum banner

Carolina Street Tracker 1980 CX500D

50K views 167 replies 32 participants last post by  exploring/carolina 
#1 · (Edited)
Have been working on & off on my Street Tracker project for a few years. Back on the project now, until completion. Have the frame, swing arm, drive shaft tube, and various components out for semi-gloss black powder coating. Also have a new Mac 2 into 1 exhaust system being ceramic coated flat black. Will paint the engine gray with 500F primer & paint. Will paint the front fender, radiator guard, side panels, fuel tank, and seat pan Daytona Yellow.

Purchased the bike, made several modifications & test ran before dis-assembly for paint & powder coating. Some of the modifications I did not keep on the bike like HD mufflers. Going with bar end mirrors instead of traditional mirrors in some of the photos. Have different turn signals than seen in some of the photos, too.

Using Hotwings Glass front fender and (modified) GL1000 Darkwing seat pan. Installed progressive fork springs. Purchased Igni Tec ignition and water pump mechanical seal on a group buy here. Larry rebuilt the carb. Will try 90/120 jets. Purchased a set of 1978 wheels with 18" rear. Using Bikemaster European handlebars. Rebuilding the front brake caliper after powder coating. Purchased all new cables. Installed Ducati electric radiator fan.

Used the space where the air box was located for the battery and voltage regulator. Also made a set of flat plastic UHMW side panels to replace the original side panels. Have done other work not mentioned, too.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks!!!

Waiting on frame/parts being powder coated & exhaust being ceramic coated right now. Will start working on painting parts, next. Extending the kickstand 1/2" because of the 18" rear wheel, then will powder coat the kick stand, too. Will not be installing the centerstand. Will use paddock stands to lift the CX for maintenance, have a triple tree paddock stand to lift the front.

#5 ·
Hell yeah! I had a white sportbike with a black frame. Loved that look. Even considered it for my current build. Can't wait to see the photos.

1981 CX500 Custom making the transition from Bobber to Café Racer.

#7 ·
Are you going to use a fork brace ?

#9 ·
Interesting build Bill. We gotta get together. Blast of winter weather heading to us. Maybe later this month when spring starts slowly coming around?

#13 · (Edited)
Priming & painting engine with 500F aluminum color paint. Painting various other parts, too.

Ron painted these parts white base with red pin stripe (all paint) and white pearl over all. Ron paints many
sport & race bikes. His website: Trading Paint

The frame, fuel cap cover, and various parts are being powder coated and should be ready at the end of the week.

#16 ·
I'm strongly contemplating using the same seat. You said you had to do a lot of trimming for fit. If (I'm 90%) i do purchase the darkwing, would you be willing to trace a stiff paper template covering your cuts and possibly dimensions for the mounts? I'd be most grateful!

#17 · (Edited)
Would be happy to trace the seat where trimmed and mount locations for you. Will pick the painted parts up later this week. Hope to have the bike on the road in April and
doing lots of riding to see if I got the seat position at the proper angle.

Rode the bike with this final seat pan position, it was comfortable with the forks slid up in the triple tree by 1" (lowered front 1") with a 16" rear wheel while testing. Installing a 18" rear wheel and placing the forks at the original OEM position in the triple tree which should place this seat pan at the same angle that it was while testing. Raised the front & rear 1" compared to original seat pan testing position. Hope that makes sense.

#23 · (Edited)
Tim,

Hope you and your family are well!

Did you see the "painted" radiator guard in the photos I got from you? Picked up the painted parts today from Carthage NC. The powder coated parts may be ready on Friday. Will be getting everything ready for assembly this weekend and hope to have the bike put back together during March. Will post progress photos.

Thanks!!!!!

#26 · (Edited)
Just got most of the parts back from the powder coating shop. Went with semi gloss black on most parts and chrome color powder coat on the badges. shifter, and brake lever. Mac 2 into 1 exhaust after ceramic coated flat black. Only parts left to powder coat is the side stand and bottom clamp on the triple tree. I'm painting other parts/engine right now, too.

The powder coating shop is Americoat @ Denver NC. Talked to Stacey @ 704-530-8147.

#31 ·
Just started assembly. The fuel tank was first with semi gloss black powder coated fuel cap cover, chrome color powder coated badges, and pearl white paint.

Love it. I'm strongly considering white as a color myself. My front wheel is white already so I might just do the tank and back wheel too. Can't wait to see it all assembled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.