Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rims on my 500T are mint and I would like to keep them that way.I realize they are anodized but am wondering if there is any kind of a factory coating on there that would react to anything in waxes. Anybody have any ideas on this cuz I like to wax everything for apearance and protection.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
The rims on my 500T are mint and I would like to keep them that way.I realize they are anodized but am wondering if there is any kind of a factory coating on there that would react to anything in waxes. Anybody have any ideas on this cuz I like to wax everything for apearance and protection.
I'm pretty sure the coating is just the anodizing. I'm sure someone has tried sanding on one at some point to determine the layers, but I don't know. Be careful of what kind of cleaners you use on the wheels. Castrol Super Clean will remove the coating if you leave it on long enough. Read the labels on any cleaner to see if they are safe on metals (our maid screwed up plenty of finishes-that's how I learned). In any event when cleaning I would use a minimum of a mild car cleaner and wash it off right away. I don't see any reason that a light coat of wax would hurt the spokes and rims. It's a bit of extra maintenance to put on, but it would help repel dirt and keep things a bit cleaner and make it shine.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I am pretty new to the Turbo world but the wheels seem pretty durable.

Soap and water and car polish should be safe. I use plain old Turtle Wax

or something like that, not chrome or metal polish because that has a lot

of grit and solvent in it. Chrome or metal polish may be pretty abrasive.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I've seen a picture of the gold wheels completely destroyed but I can't remember what cleaner the person used.

It was very common. Possibly Simple Green at full strength.

I would stay away from cleaners like 409, Fantastik or even glass cleaners with ammonia.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.