Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1978 CX500
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if the O-Rings which seal the crossover tube into carburetor bodies are a readily available size? I replaced them last year when I rebuilt the carbs and wasn't terribly happy with the quality of the fit, but they sealed and didn't present a problem until a couple days ago when I noticed some fuel on the ground after a ride.

I'm really hoping they're a size that I might be able to get at a hardware store because I'm a bit reticent to spend $25 for a bespoke o-ring that I know cost a nickle to make.

·
Registered
1978 CX500
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome. I just ordered them on McMaster. Now I just need to find a home for the other 98 O-rings in the package...

·
Registered
1978 CX500
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The chart posted had nitrile as severely affected by gasoline..

Fully agree if its a oring you replace periodically.. Viton...i even use V in the final drive splines as black greases with moly Could tend to be more aggressive than a general lithium soap grease....few dollars yearly not a issue.

BTW...Worth remembering theres different grades of nitrile...so more resistant than others .
But unless this is stated...the resistance a bit of an unknown..
That's sorta what I was thinking. I got a bag of 100 for under $15 after shipping from McMaster. Considering that I'll probably be servicing the Carbs every couple of years, I'm probably going to be long dead before I run out of replacements.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts