Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so let's say I've completely taken the carbs apart and just put it all back together. Bike runs, no fuel out of the overflow, etc.

I know that the pilot mixture, synchronization, and idle speed are all dependant on one another.

So the question is, what is the proper order of setting it all up?

My bike runs a steady 1000 rpm right now, but if I'm accelerating and grab the clutch + let off the throttle and hit the brakes, she dies on me.

I would think that I would set the pilot screws, then synch the carbs, then set idle, then go through the process 1 more time to be certain, right?

How do you go about adjusting the pilot screws properly?

FYI, I'm running 82 / 118 on the jets, with just a set of HD mufflers on the H-box.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
First off, why such big jets? If you have the H box and the stock air cleaner you don't need to up the jets just for the HD mufflers.

Balance the carbs first, then set the idle, then set the mixture screws to 2 1/2 and go ride it. If it has a bit of a flat spot under 4K, turn the screws out a 1/4 turn at a time. If it doesn't help, then the carbs and the low jets are not clean enough yet. But then again, these are guide lines for the stock jetting.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, why such big jets? If you have the H box and the stock air cleaner you don't need to up the jets just for the HD mufflers.

Balance the carbs first, then set the idle, then set the mixture screws to 2 1/2 and go ride it. If it has a bit of a flat spot under 4K, turn the screws out a 1/4 turn at a time. If it doesn't help, then the carbs and the low jets are not clean enough yet. But then again, these are guide lines for the stock jetting.

Ok, I'll pop the stock 78/112s back in and see how that works. I do have a flat spot just south of 4k rpm.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
Well, you are going to have to clean the low jets out then to get the flat spots out. If it still had the flat spots with the larger jets, there is no other way around it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts