Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys last night I cleaned up my carbs, and put them back together. Today I put them in the bike and start her up, blue smoke.. and gas leaking from the carbs.

I took them apart cleaned them up again, and now they are not leaking. There is a tiny bit of smoke.. but it's funny the bike just ran for like 5 minutes straight with the choke on.. idled right at 1k rpms. Then it died and I can't get it started. It must be getting fludded or sonething idk.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I cleaned mine too and had lots of trouble with them. The gas comes from the float valves leaking. Could they be mixed up? The only way my carbs ran ok was after I used graphite to lubricate the pistons and slides. I suggest anyone cleaning carbs to do not remove the original black lubrication on the pistons and cylinders.

·
Registered
967 Posts
It's helpful to identify the year and model of your bike, indicate if its stock, modified, etc.

Did you reinstall the floats in the correct orientation? If they are installed correctly did you set the heights properly? Did you check to see if you have any air/vacuum leaks around the boots that secure the carbs to the bike?

What did the overflow tubes look like that are fixed to the carb bowls? they are prone to cracking.

·
Registered
264 Posts
these carbs are very pick. they have to be perfectly clean. I unsuccesfully cleaned mine 3 times before I bough an ultrasonic sink and it fixed mine right up. If you live near me i will toss them into it for you?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I twore them down a couple times yesterday but i'm sure I put them together correctly. I honestly don't know what the height specifications are for the jets, if someone has a link that would be very usefull. If it helps any the bike still fires right up with the choke on it just dies instantly when the choke is put back in.

Also the petcock I have is questionable as far as it's functionability. I'm going to get a rebuild kit for it, but right now i'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the carbs.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I twore them down a couple times yesterday but i'm sure I put them together correctly. I honestly don't know what the height specifications are for the jets, if someone has a link that would be very usefull. If it helps any the bike still fires right up with the choke on it just dies instantly when the choke is put back in.

Also the petcock I have is questionable as far as it's functionability. I'm going to get a rebuild kit for it, but right now i'm trying to figure out what's wrong with the carbs.

maybe the main idle screw, the big black one, on the bottom of the carbs is set Soooo low that when you pull the choke it just falls off? just an idea.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I honestly don't know exactly where the idle screw is supposed to be set. That's the problem, is that the carbs are all cleaned out. I checked all the jets and everything. Blew them out with compressed air and gave them a good soaking in carb cleaner.

I just have no idea how to get the carbs in the right tune. If anyone is near Eugene Oregon and wants to come take a look your more than welcome
i'd cover gas

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
alright by the end of today i'll take detailed pictures/videos and see if we can get this diagnosed a little better.

Just out of curiosity could a petcock make the bike only run during choking?? and die if the choke isn't on? Cause my dad says when he was riding it the petcock was really the only problem he had.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts