Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi.

i'm in ottawa canada and it's my third year with my 1981 honda cx500.

i'm trying to do as much of the maintenance myself and this year i decided to clean out my carburetors. unfortunately that did not work as planned.

when i start the bike it runs only if i have the choke on. if i take it off the bike dies no matter how warm or no matter how much gas i give it. i'm guessing it's some setting of fuel mixture i have to tweak but i'm no sure. and at this point i'd rather not mess it up anymore.

guidance and suggestions would be gladly welcomed.

thank you.

guillaume

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
How many turns out do you have the mix screws?
If you are running severely lean, maybe it will only run when the full choke artificially forces a richer mix.
That's what a choke does, to my way of thinking, anyway.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i don't think it's the idler that's an issue because even if i give it gas it dies on me.

i would have to take the carbs out again to check the turns out. correct? and i want more gas in this case? (not sure what running lean means).

thanks.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
On the bottom front of each carb is a screw that allows you to vary the air/gas mix ratio.
With carbs in the bike, take a small flathead screwdriver bit and hang upside down from your garage rafters like a bat and with a small flashlight adjust the screws (just kidding).
Screw them all the way in gently snug but not too tight.
Note how many turns it takes to get them all the way in.
Then back them out 2 1/2 turns each for starters.
Some say 2 1/4 turns, some say 3 turns, whatever.
Run the bike awhile ( one tank of gas) and then check your plugs to see how they look.
If they are white or gray with no brown or black you are too lean (too much air to gas) and need to back them out another half turn and run the bike again to check the plugs.
I doubt with 2 1/2 turns you will be too rich, which would be black sooty plugs.
By the way, what do the plugs look like now?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Make sure you dont have any vacuum leaks. Even a small leak can make the bike run bad.
Having the choke on can help compensate for to much air getting in.
Be sure to check your intake boots. They can crack from age and leak.
Just my thoughts, hope it works out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts