Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found this after pulling my carbs for a clean...

These pics are post carb dib, so it may have been more uniform before. Right now it looks like industrial strength play-doh.

I can only assume there's SUPPOSED to be some sort of throttle adjustment there on stock carbs. I'm not very familiar with carbs in general, so this is a learning process for me.

Does anyone have pictures of what this area is supposed to look like and any possible fixes for this...situation?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I can't believe that stuff held up like that. Too bad you don't know what was used, good stuff.

Here's a pic, shows the post that must have broken, or maybe that putty is there only to fix the screw?? Is the post still there under the goop?

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Over the years of doing carbs I thought I had seen it all. Now I know there's and endless possibility to what someone can do with these things.

If I were you I would take a real good look at the rest of the bike. Who knows what else they used that on.

Give me the # stamped on the other side of the body and I'll see if I have an extra body for you.

I'll bet that stuff is that two part epoxy putty.

Larry

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Cobram's pic is probably more like your carb,,1980 carbs looked like this, they have a smaller piece to hold the idle adjustment screw closer to the carb body.

This is probably like yours

Is the stuff on yours still holding alright? Probably the piece broke at the hole where the screw goes through.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the stuff on yours still holding alright?

It is actually. It's pretty much rock hard, and the function does in fact work. But I'm sitting here taking all this time to dissemble and thoroughly clean the carbs, with the intention of taking a lot of long winded road trips on the bike. Putting them back with a play-doh peg just doesn't seem logical.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Maybe the PO just lost the spring and adjuster screw and is holding a replacement screw with the epoxy instead of a spring. You need x-ray vision.

OR maybe the threads are stripped out of the boss

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe the PO just lost the spring and adjuster screw and is holding a replacement screw with the epoxy instead of a spring. You need x-ray vision.

OR maybe the threads are stripped out of the boss

Had this belonged to anyone else I'd be that optimistic. With my running bad luck... I'm willing to bet the peg cracked off and there's a hole in the body.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
That's one hell of a bodge/hack.like they say,"If it works,don't fix it".

I've been using some of this stuff for little bodge jobs,

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Fahrenheit-H...725?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ba4e3f45

http://cgi.ebay.com/3-Tubes-Mighty-...657?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item41593c7939

It's great stuff.Sets rock hard and can be drilled.It's bit like stuff we use in the Aircraft industry called,"Air-Metal".

The PO may not have had the money or access to get another set of carbs or a professional repair.There are some owners in countries that don't have the accessibility to stuff we do(Probably not in this case) so ingenuity comes into play.

I suspect you are right and that the end of the arm has broken off that has the screw thread to hold the idle speed adjustment.If I had no other option I would do this bodge but use a nut in there of the correct thread.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Have your local PD lift the prints and run them though their data base. Maybe the PO got clipped and you can pay him a visit and see what else he did to your machine.

It is hard to knock him if it was working.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
Moto,

I think I found another carb that the same guy worked on. I'm not kidding! I have never run into this before I saw yours. I pulled a couple bodies apart that had your # on it and this is what I found with one of them. JBWeld holding a section in place. Small world eh!

I don't have another good body of that # for you that I would trust though. Sorry!

If I run across one I'll let you know.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts

Thanks for looking anyhow.

What exactly is the function of this part? Tweaking throttle position to set idle RPM?
Yes, the part that is broken holds the idle adjustment screw so if you turn the screw in or out it will adjust the idle up or down.

·
Super Moderator
2,854 Posts
If you try to run with the choke as an idle speed setting, the choke plates will be partially closed all the time and run the carbs richer than needed. Not a good thing.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.