Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got my baby running last night, it was bogging down when I went more than half throttle, had that issue before and it was a jet that fell out, so this morning I checked, and that was the case. So I was running around for a while, no issues, then all of a sudden it acted like it was low on gas, so I switched to reserve, and it was still acting low on gas... I came to a stop light, and it died, fired it up, and it was idling awful low, and stalled, so I just held the gas on and went and got gas, noticed I was in a puddle of gas..... Filled up, and was heading back home, and stopped for gas again, after going 20-30 miles, and put in another 1.5 gallons, when it shoulda been about 1/2 a gallon... So I stopped by a friends house on the way home, and found that it was coming from the overflow, but when the petcock is turned off and the bike's running it doesn't leak, then I turn it back on, it leaks and dies.... Any ideas? The float isn't sticking, at least not to the point where I can't flick it and have it bounce back and forth easily. And to save a question, no, I don't have a fuel filter yet, it should have arrived today with a tire and fork oil, but I wasn't going to waste the 1st day I can ride by sitting at home waiting for a delivery...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
It still sounds like a float problem to me. It would be normal for it not to leak with petcock off and the bike running. No gas getting into the bowls, and it is burning out what remains in them. I doubt that you have a split overflow tube, but I would look them over too, just in case.

I'm betting on a piece of crud not allowing the float needle to seat and this allows fuel to keep trying to fill the bowl. I would remove the needle and let a bit of gas run out, then polish the seat with some 0000 steel wool on a toothpick and reinstall the floats. Then add that filter as soon as you can.

·
Super Moderator
2,845 Posts
I second Blues suggestion. Also, did you make sure both of the needles spring loaded tips were going in and out freely?

You can verify if it's a fuel needle overflowing the fuel by pulling the top covers and slides out while it's running. You'll be able to see if the fuel is overflowing inside the venturis that way. Yes, it will run at idle that way. It just won't rev up.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was the float needles,cleaned em up and no more leak, now my stator is shot

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Why do you think your stator is shot? Have you done all the tests for resistance and voltage? Maybe just some bad connections in the harness. Start another thread on your stator and we'll try to help out there too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts