Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If i park my 1979 cx 500 it leaks gas out of the drian tubes that come out of the carbs,the bike runs fine and dose not leak when running. I craked open the little side screw to drain the gas out a bit but makes no differce. .So i have to shut my petcock every time. Harbri.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Well first you should shut your petcock off everytime. That's why it's there.

If both are leaking then most likely you have a crack in the overflow tube in the carbs. It's easily fixed with solder.

But you could also turn your petcock off with your bike on the centerstand, drain the carbs, turn the petcock to on and tap the bottom of the carb bowls with the handle of a screwdriver. Then see if they continue to leak. If so it's your carb bowls.

·
Super Moderator
11,455 Posts
Harbri, would you take a few minutes and edit your profile to include your location, and edit your signature to include the bike model and year.

You have made several posts on various issues, so if you can give us some history of the bike, it will make it easier for us to help.

From what I am seeing in your posts, you have quite a few issues. In the case of this leaking gas, I highly recommend a full overhaul of your carbs. Go to the Quick Reference thread in the General Discussion area to find a whole lot of great information.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
458 Posts
Quick fix....ride at 55 mph, turn off fuel, until engine starts to cough, then open fuel tap.

This allows the needle and seats to operate almost all of their travel.

Also, shameless plug for Larry's carby book, most bikes haven't been touched in years, and the carbs are to blame for 75% of all issues, even some "electrical" issues.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
That's a nice shameless plug. Last week I think Larry said he was down to 9 books. But don't worry he's printing more and I believe in color.

·
Registered
745 Posts
just today the leak started , the bike has been sitting now for 6 months , but i have been warming it up . i may need to send the carbs to Larry,,,, even thou i was about to rebuild a spare carb , but it looks different than in the book ..... i just got over whelmed, but now just may need too ,,, i'll keep an eye on this post

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just got an 81 GL500. It does the same thing but hasn't run yet. I thought I'd write this before I do the carbs.

Where have you guys found the best deal on carb kits, i.e., most complete, best quality, best price.

Next.....and I can't think of a better place to put this.....

Both of my other GLs run well but have a notable lag of go on the very low end, Just starting off in 1st. gear they lag a second and as soon as I begin to open the throttle they leap forward. Is this common to the CX-GL carbs and has anyone figured out a way to make the transition from idle to low speed without the sudden lunge ?

I was imagining longer transition slots in the throttle bodies but wouldn't want to mess up my carbs unless it was on proven advice.

Thanks Gang

Danno

Three (count 'em) 1981 GL500s.....two naked wings and one full SilverWing

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
[quote name='danno' date='01 May 2011 - 07:38 PM' timestamp='1304300288' post='67646']

I just got an 81 GL500. It does the same thing but hasn't run yet. I thought I'd write this before I do the carbs.

Where have you guys found the best deal on carb kits, i.e., most complete, best quality, best price.

Next.....and I can't think of a better place to put this.....

Both of my other GLs run well but have a notable lag of go on the very low end, Just starting off in 1st. gear they lag a second and as soon as I begin to open the throttle they leap forward. Is this common to the CX-GL carbs and has anyone figured out a way to make the transition from idle to low speed without the sudden lunge ?

I was imagining longer transition slots in the throttle bodies but wouldn't want to mess up my carbs unless it was on proven advice.

Thanks Gang

I am by no means a carb guy, but thats is not normal sounding to me, both my CX500 and GL500 were/are not showing any signs

of lagging off the line, sounds maybe like air jet? Dirty carb? Larry....calling Larry....where are you?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.