Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have only had the GL500 out a couple of days in December/January but am noticing carbon deposits at the gasket where the valve cover joins the head.(the rubber gasket).

Is this an indicatiion that the exhaust valves are not closing? I maintain adjustment of the valves when chainging oil. Could this conditiio be caused by the cold weather.. Cycle starts/runs well, just as always..

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Is the carbon on the inside or the outside?

And have you ever had the deposit before and cleaned it off to have it come back?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the carbon on the inside or the outside?

And have you ever had the deposit before and cleaned it off to have it come back?

Thanks for the reply.

I seem to remember this happening last summer but I'm not sure..

The carbon is on the outside of both cycliners and is located on the front. I noticed it the other day when I was trying to warm my fingers on the covers while riding..

As I said, the cycle starts quickly, this even in the very cool weather ( around 50 degrees).

Stan

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
If it isnt badly worn exhaust valves/guides/stem seals

Its possibly leaking header gaskets puffing exhaust gas up on to the rocker covers

Seen that before

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Thinking about it.

an easy quick check is to whip a rocker cover off

If you find black carbon deposits inside its valve/stem/seal wear

if you dont its probly the header gaskets

·
Registered
94 Posts
If you are seeing it on the outside front... it has to be simply exhaust soot... good riding Mike

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Hi, I have only had the GL500 out a couple of days in December/January but am noticing carbon deposits at the gasket where the valve cover joins the head.(the rubber gasket).

Is this an indicatiion that the exhaust valves are not closing? I maintain adjustment of the valves when chainging oil. Could this conditiio be caused by the cold weather.. Cycle starts/runs well, just as always..
mmm,really odd question.im not really sure carbon deposits could make there way there.are you sure its carbon?

·
Registered
851 Posts
It sounds like exhaust header gasket leak? Start the bike and put your hand close to the suspected point of the leak you may be able to see or even hear a leak ..careful it may be hot!

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
The gaskets are cheap enough and available from any local Honda dealer as well as about anywhere online.

If in any doubt use an old plumber's trick for checking gas pipes. Fill a spray bottle with water, add a squeeze of common dishwashing soap then lightly shake until it's all dissolved. Spray on the suspected areas after you start the engine. If there are any leaks at all you'll see bubbles.

Do us all a favor by adding a tiny text signature line so we know exactly what bike you have. I see you mention GL500 but no year.

18291-286-306 but TAS may be able to provide them cheaper than the dealer since they offer free shipping on small items.

If you mention my name (Marshall) to Matt and that you saw it on this forum you may get an additional discount.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Or is it dirty oil finding its way out the valve cover gasket..
thats where i was going linny,maybe from the plug hole seal,a picture would be nice.i just cant see exhaust burn would attach itself to the cover,and definatly not whilr riding

·
Registered
810 Posts
thats where i was going linny,maybe from the plug hole seal,a picture would be nice.i just cant see exhaust burn would attach itself to the cover,and definatly not whilr riding

Yea, rule out where you can and that sounds like a great place to start. Stuff sticks where it's wet. Kind of like 'rolling her in flour'.. Ya know?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the input regarding the carbon..

I'll check with a spray bottle then remove and look for soot on the inside of the cover.. I have a set of the brass gaskets for the exhaust ordered.

As to filling in my information, I was a member before but couldn't get back on hince the "motorgeazer2" name. I was just motorgeazer.. I can't seem to find out how to add info just yet.. I'll work on it as well as add a picture.

Anyhow, the cycle is a 82GL500- the standard-- with about 37k on the odometer which could be correct, but don't really know. Bike starts easily and runs nicely.. in the last year I'm redone the forks, put on new tires and wheel bearings and a couple of cables..

Thanks for the input.

Stan

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Here is another way to check for an exhaust leak. Take a piece of vacuum hose and hold one end next to your ear. With the bike running, use the other end to "sniff" around the flanges and other areas that may be leaking.

If there is a leak you'll be able to hear it and pinpoint its location.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.