Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started making carbon fiber parts for my CX500D and the first is a carbon gas cap. These are early prototypes and aren't perfect, but here are some pictures and can make more to sell. They can have a forged carbon look or the exposed weave. If anyone is interested, let me know!

I also plan on making other carbon parts in the future that I will post. Hopefully the next will be a carbon rear cowl.

·
Super Moderator
23,405 Posts
Out of interest, what are the relative weights?

I don't much like the look of carbon fibre, at least for old bikes but have been considering making some bits for weight savings.

I'm assuming it can be etch primed and painted?

Nice work.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I've started making carbon fiber parts for my CX500D and the first is a carbon gas cap. These are early prototypes and aren't perfect, but here are some pictures and can make more to sell. They can have a forged carbon look or the exposed weave. If anyone is interested, let me know!

I also plan on making other carbon parts in the future that I will post. Hopefully the next will be a carbon rear cowl. View attachment 201992 View attachment 201993
Nice work-could a carbon fibre rocker cover that fits over the existing alloy component be made?-engine bar montings have a mounting weak-point-the one near the radiator.
This type of cover is commonly used to add some "sacrificial material" to alternator covers etc for inline fours-commonly just glued in place.

Look forward to seeing more parts you do....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Out of interest, what are the relative weights?

I don't much like the look of carbon fibre, at least for old bikes but have been considering making some bits for weight savings.

I'm assuming it can be etch primed and painted?

Nice work.
I don't have a scale that would be sensitive enough to weigh these parts but I will get back with some weights. They are about the same thickness and the stock one is steel I think so you could be saving a couple of grams.

Yes, they can be primed and painted. Just sand them down with 100 grit and anything will stick. The first picture was just 2 or 3 coats of clear and the second one was just 1 coat which is why it's not as smooth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could a carbon fibre rocker cover that fits over the existing alloy component be made?
Yes, they definitely could be made and would have no issues with the heat either. The tricky part would be getting the mold right. I would have to probably have to sacrifice one of my rocker covers which I'm not keen to do. The other option would be to 3D print a plug to make a mold but it wouldn't be exactly the same because I would have to model it.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,456 Posts
No need to sacrifice a rocker cover. Just polish it, coat it with form release, and create a master (maybe split) mold. That casting will actually be your plug, since you'll lay up your working mold in that.

Reactions: bahn88

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just polish it, coat it with form release, and create a master (maybe split) mold.
Not a bad idea. Just spoke with my friend about this and he was worried about temps. Does anyone know how hot the head can get up to? We are just doing a room temp cure and wet layup and recommended prepreg if its going to get hot.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,456 Posts
Hot enough you wouldn't want to touch it barehanded for very long, especially at the front above the exhaust. They are good for warming your gloves in the winter.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Carbon valve covers, or even overlays should be fine. Lots of race cars use them, so the heat shouldn't be an issue if the part is made properly with quality materials.

Reactions: bahn88
1 - 9 of 9 Posts