Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a 1980 cx500 and it runs like garbage. Pops really loud on decell and throttle response is terrible. My question is how do I tune these carbs? What tool do I need to sync them? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Yes , syncronising the carbs ( carburattors , not carbohydrates !) eventually is a good thing , but the bad running should be cured by a systematic work out of all the bike's systems;, starting with the checking of ALL the electrical components and the timing of the functional spark . Cleaning and setting and balancing of the fuel system and the carbs are sufficiently discussed in Larry's carb book and the wiki and the FSM and the elaborate discussions all to be found via this forum. Enjoy :)

Reactions: Francois25

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well then I guess I shall clean the carbs this weekend. I'll grab my timing light from work and play with that some. Thank you sir, and one more thing. What is that tool to sync the carbs? I'll probably have to order it.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These links are helping, I took the float bowls off and cleaned them. They weren't that dirty at all. Should I take the whole assembly off and carry on cleaning everything els?

·
Registered
7,517 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yesterday when I got home I gapped the valves and checked to timing. The timing was spot on. Then I screwed the little vaccume screw thing by the float bowls all the way in and backed them out 1 1/2 turns and it got rid of the popping! I'm reading a lot about them. Pretty much just have to make sure every nook and cranny is clean. I'm going to play with it some more later today. And no I don't have a Manual. But I'll order one right away

1 - 14 of 14 Posts