Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK Lets see.

Trying to balance Carbs at idle. The gauge needles are bouncing about like a fan. When I rev it up to 3K the needles level out.

Any ideas?

I am in the process of cooling down to adjust the tappets then try again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
OK Lets see.

Trying to balance Carbs at idle. The gauge needles are bouncing about like a fan. When I rev it up to 3K the needles level out.

Any ideas?

I am in the process of cooling down to adjust the tappets then try again.
Use an accumulator/restriction to smooth the jerks of the needle.

·
Registered
3,530 Posts
You know an easy way to do this without having to run to the store?

Only if you have an aquarium with a gang valve. Aquarium air valves work well, or any similar device you may have around the house or garage. Most of the big box stores which sell pet supplies have them, I saw a set at Wally World for $2.99.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Another way I have done is to clamp a Vise Grips on each hose and gradually tighten up the adjustment screw. When you constrict the hose enough, the bouncing will stop. Too much and you won't get a reading.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Only if you have an aquarium with a gang valve. Aquarium air valves work well, or any similar device you may have around the house or garage. Most of the big box stores which sell pet supplies have them, I saw a set at Wally World for $2.99.
Never tried it, but you could probably jam some cotton swab into the tube

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wife was out and I was watching the kids so I couldn't get to the store. Found the gang valves online at a local pet store so I can get them tomorrow after work. So we shall continue this tomorrow.

Adjusted the tappets and the cam chain the bike sounded 100 times better, lets see if we have success tomorrow.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I got a gang valve from Wally world in their pet supply department.

Keep in mind that it designed to be supplied by a source of air with output on each valve. Since you mentioned "gauges" I am assuming you have more than one.

What I did was buy the 2 gang model, drilled a small hole between the two valves and put some glue in it to seal up that section and then test the individual valve screws. Using hot glue worked best as it doesn't run like liquid glues and drys quickly. Silicone caulk would also work.

Remember to glue the plastic barb fittings. They pull out easy with the tubing and don't seal well unless you do this step. I also put some Teflon plumbing tape on the valve stems as well.

HTH.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok this is a little embarrassing but here goes.

The gauges I purchased had the restrictors included, so it pays to have patience and take everything out of the box. Guess I was like a kid at christmas.

I learned a lot about the carbs today. Like the importance of adjusting the pilot screw. Carbs are nice a balanced...she purrs.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Ok this is a little embarrassing but here goes.

The gauges I purchased had the restrictors included, so it pays to have patience and take everything out of the box. Guess I was like a kid at christmas.

I learned a lot about the carbs today. Like the importance of adjusting the pilot screw. Carbs are nice a balanced...she purrs.

Thanks for the help.

Glad to hear you got the carbs adjusted OK.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Another trick to make restrictors is to take a short length (1-2 inches) of TV antenna cable; remove the outer covering, the outer wire shielding and the inner wire.

You end up with the inner insulation with a small restricted passageway. And as long as you keep the lengths the same, the restrictions will also be the same, so no variation between the two which may occur using other home-grown solutions.

Greg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.