Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Yes, there are several. I made vacuum adapters from 3/16" aluminum tubing threaded on one end to match the intake vacuum ports. Then you can use a variety of ways to make tubing manometers with a fluid that will not harm if it is sucked into the engine (ATF). These can be a loop with vacuum attached at each end, and adjust until levels are equal.

I use a vacuum gauge with a large (1 quart) bottle in line with the gauge to act a dampener. I connect both vacuum ports with a T and alternately pinch off the tubes while adjusting the balance until the needle on the gauge does not move when switching from one port to the other.

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts

·
Registered
3,535 Posts

I got a set of those on eBay for around $35.00. When I adjusted the carbs, I checked it against the Morgan Carbtune a friend has, and all was good.

A Mercury Motion Pro is currently listed on eBay for $20 shipping included. I wouldn't recommend ordering this one until the seller gets some feedback from the 17 that have been sold.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I have a Morgan Carbtune2.If you have money they are superb however some of the other cheaper ones seem just as good.

I had the money at the time and is has been an excellent purchase and would hate to be without it.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I have the Carbtune 4, awesome unit, got it mainly for the GL1000 and use it on the rest too. This discussion has been had

many times here, search the archives. Many have store bought, many have homemade.

Good luck

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all of the input. I'm guessing at this point just about every thing has already been asked haha. I tried to search some but when I search anything dealing with carbs so much stuff will come up.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Only a small gauge portion is available to for vacuum (picture shows them on zero, they'd move CCW with vacuum)

Probably made in China, not that some good products don't appear from that country at times but a lot of junk does too.

Website says Make: HONDA and you know darn well by the packaging that isn't at all true.

Guy probably sells the same thing for other bike and puts their name on them as the manufacturer.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Only a small gauge portion is available to for vacuum (picture shows them on zero, they'd move CCW with vacuum)

Probably made in China, not that some good products don't appear from that country at times but a lot of junk does too.

Website says Make: HONDA and you know darn well by the packaging that isn't at all true.

Guy probably sells the same thing for other bike and puts their name on them as the manufacturer.

Thanks Marshall, you saved me $50. worth of grief. I was gonna order one.

Stan

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
Thanks Marshall, you saved me $50. worth of grief. I was gonna order one.

Stan

Those are the standard gauges sold by just about everyone. I would have not qualms about ordering those. It's the kind I have, they work just fine. They list it as "Honda" because it works on Honda Models, kind of a duhh moment but they list all their stuff by what it fits and what it can be used on. The scale/readings don't really matter, as long as you can get the needles pointing at the same spot. AFAIK Honda never made or sold synch gauges, I do have a set of float gauges which are OEM Honda though.

I am going to order the mercury set I mentioned above, with the PayPal/Fleabay fraud protection it's a no risk proposition. I'll post a critique as soon (if?) they arrive. Anyone who's ever used a real mercury synchronizer knows there's nothing better except airflow plates, and I don't think they make those for our carbs.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Did you already purchase the set? Just curious if you'd had good communication with the seller, etc. Hope this works out well, as it's quite a deal.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
I'm selling a setup with huge 4-/2" scale gauges. Prelim info but they can ship within two days:

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/6026-carb-sync-tool-with-gauges/

http://www.innoengr.com/CX500/manometer/manometer1.JPG

http://www.innoengr.com/CX500/manometer/manometer2.JPG

http://www.innoengr.com/CX500/manometer/manometer3.JPG

http://www.innoengr.com/CX500/manometer/manometer4.JPG

Most would buy them as a set of two, just makes thing easier. This a real tool, not something from eBay and the 1% accurate gauges are graduated by 0.5 mm but easily interpolated to 0.1 mm due to the size of the gauge.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Huge gauges made in USA by Weiss, 1% accurate, glass gauge fronts that won't get scratched in your toolbox.

Solid brass fitting, sintered bronze snubber, accurate and repeatable enough such that you can measure the (left?) side then move it to the other side and adjust for the same vacuum at the same idle speed.

Gauges also mean no possibility of the fluid separating or the mess they and the home made ones can.

Not the cheapest method out there but it's a real tool built to last a lifetime.

1 years warranty, individually replaceable parts, just another choice and I'll be keeping a double gauge model around.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.