Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a 1981 CX500 that belongs to my brother in law. I need to rebuild the carbs and I am looking for a good (free)refrence for them. I know there is Larry(I think)book. But again the bike does not belong to me and I really dont want to pay for a book. Any help?

·
Premium Member
2,510 Posts
Please take a few minutes to edit your profile to show your location and to edit your signature to show the bike's year and model.

IMO the best documentation that you can get for free is to download the Honda factory service manual and the Honda common service manual. See any of Blindstitch's posts for the link.

These manuals have enough information for you to get by. But the information in Larry's book shows how to bring them to another level.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Look Here for references including the service manual. Larry's carb book is very well regarded. If you are not experienced with Keihin CV motorcycle carbs you may want to suggest getting it to your brother in law. You may also find something covering similar models at a library. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 1982 gl500 that if i accelrate slow its ok till i reach 4500-5000 rmp then it spits and sputters in the right bank. if i pull the choke out slightly it runs fine, i have replaced the fuel filter in the petcock and pulled both carbs and cleaned them,pulled all jets and cleand them sprayed carb cleaner through each port in the carbs and they flowed freely. i replaced both air cut off valves and replaced axcelerator pump. pulled both plug and there burning clean. i have a grimlin some where im chasing i cant seem to catch. i normally restore gl1100 and gl1200 which i have rebuilt several of from ground up. but this 500 was one of my starter bikes i just recently was able to get back after it sat for a year. when i owned it befor never had a problem from her,can anyone point me in a direction to run with this im drawing a blank,i was thanking on checking the voltage to see if the stator was weak and not powering the coils good but like i said it runs fine with the choke part way out

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Make sure that the jets went back in their proper towers. The larger number goes in the brass hex fitting.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.