Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have an 82 GL500I with 10,000 miles with a left carb bowl that leaks(Pours out)gas out of the overflow tube when running.

I have removed the carbs and have them on the bench.

I need advice on the rebuild procedure. What should be done and should not be done. Tips and tricks.

I have the clymer and honda service manual but I'm looking for the real world experiences from all of you.

Where are the best places for parts/kits.

With the carbs off is there other things I should look at also.

All information is appreciated.

Thank You

Ken S.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hi Ken, you would be very satisfied if you bought Larry's book. It is very thourough with lots of pic's.

I used his book and bought the Randaak rebuild kit which was pricey but had everything needed.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Welcome, Ken. I would first try cleaning the float seat with some 0000 steel wool wrapped around a toothpick or Q tip. Just stick it in the seat area and twirl with your fingers. Then use the other end of the Q tip with toothpaste or Brasso on it to polish the seat. Make sure the needle tip isn't worn and re-install the floats.

Also check while you have the bowl off that the overflow tube is not split. Just fill it with gas and see if it still leaks when not on the carb body. Sometimes it is difficult to see the split, but gas can leak out of a very small split. If you find a split, use some 400 sandpaper to clean the area and heat the tube with a micro torch or soldering iron and flow some solder over the split. Very easy to do.

I wouldn't spend the money on a rebuild kit, about the only thing you get that wears out is the tiny O rings on the mixture screws.

·
Registered
810 Posts
You took a good amount of time to pull the carbs. You'll spend a while fixing the tube and or cleaning the seat. I think it would really be unpleasant doing all that then putting it all back together only to find gas leaking from a refit bowl gasket or poor performance from a bent spring or something. I don't want to spend your money. I simply know I hate redundancy in what I have monkey'd with and I think a kit can help prevent that.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have Larry's full name or were to buy the book.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the link.

Please keep the info coming.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.