Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the warmish weather is here its time to work on my CX500 again. I need to rebuild my carbs as the bike will not even start anymore. I bought the float valve but Honda doesnt sell the float bowl gasket separately like other OEM's do.
What is the best thing to do? I think I saw something about someone through this site is selling kits but I cant remember. Any recommondations as what I should do?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Order Larry's carb book and follow it step by step.
A Harbor freight ultrasonic cleaner works well.
I used Randakk's carb kit, that's all the new parts needed.
Order the Mac tool extractor to remove the pressed it idle tube.

Reactions: D-Fresh

·
Registered
1981 CX500 Custom
240 Posts
I also have to suggest ordering Larry's carb book, or have the master do it himself! Larry rebuilt my carb and the man is an ARTIST.

You can also get carb kits (at least the last time I checked) at www.4into1.com

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I work at a motorcycle shop so I can use our ultasonic cleaner if really required. I could even be real lazy and let the techs clean them for me. LOL
I checked 4into1 and they are currently out of stock. I assume its an american site so for me the exchange and shipping would be costly

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a question I hope everyone can help me with. One of our suppliers has a carb kit for the CX500 but they only show it is for 1978-79 models. Any difference between a 79 and an 82 carb?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I work at a motorcycle shop so I can use our ultasonic cleaner if really required. I could even be real lazy and let the techs clean them for me. LOL
I checked 4into1 and they are currently out of stock. I assume its an american site so for me the exchange and shipping would be costly
Jetsrus is also a good source for individual carb bits, valve, gaskets, etc. They often offer both OEM and aftermarket options.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Here is a question I hope everyone can help me with. One of our suppliers has a carb kit for the CX500 but they only show it is for 1978-79 models. Any difference between a 79 and an 82 carb?
Your 82 will have an accelerator pump while the 79 won’t.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
A '78/'79 kit won't have the accelerator pump parts. The float valves and the jet sizes are different, too.
The bowl gaskets will be the same.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
94 Posts
Order the Mac tool extractor to remove the pressed it idle tube.
Hi All
Is there a part number available for the MAC tool puller

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,829 Posts
The #1 extractor is part # 5401E. Unless you can find a Mac Tool truck in your area that will sell just the one extractor, you'll need to get the full set.
Here's a link to the set.HERE

·
Registered
133 Posts
I was able to order just the #1 exactor last year, during the pandemic shutdown.

Reactions: LRCXed

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
I believe the current best wisdom is to tap the opening in the jet #4-40 and use a #4 bolt and a nut to pull the jet out. I haven't needed to do it with a jet but I have used a similar technique to pull other pressed in parts out many times over the years.

·
Registered
1982 cx500tc turbo
94 Posts
Hi All
Is there a part number available for the MAC tool puller

Thanks
Hi
Yes I have that model just in the more expensive version
that starts with a Sn*- O+ ( Don.t want to advertise)

TLD

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", '83 GL650, '82 GL500 Project "AdventureWing", '79 CX500C, '78 CX500 Scrambler
10,601 Posts
I like Irwin. They're easy to find.
I haven't tried the#4-40 screw yet, but I bought the tap for next time.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I believe the current best wisdom is to tap the opening in the jet #4-40 and use a #4 bolt and a nut to pull the jet out. I haven't needed to do it with a jet but I have used a similar technique to pull other pressed in parts out many times over the years.
I use this method as well...seems to be more consistent across the wide variety of carburetor conditions.

Plus I concur regarding Larry's book.

Reactions: fsj

·
Registered
963 Posts
I use this method as well...seems to be more consistent across the wide variety of carburetor conditions.

Plus I concur regarding Larry's book.
My preferred method. Never had a problem getting them out this way.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I ended up ordering the carb kits from our supplier MCD and will rebuild them once I have a couple days at home to do the whole job
20210605_075047.jpg

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
16,628 Posts
Remember: The metal parts in aftermarket carb kits are seldom anywhere near original quality and often far out of spec. Before you consider using the float valve needles in those kits consider the pic below and read this
Aftermarket Float Valve

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Good to know, I also bought OEM float valves as well. (y)

Reactions: CXPHREAK
1 - 20 of 20 Posts