Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the recent threads about Larry's work, I thought I would throw my 2cents in.

Since joining this spring and getting help and reading a lot in this forum, I got my bike running after 14 yr storage. Did a lot of rebuild and replacing parts.

However, everything seems to go back to the carbs. I rebuilt my orig 79 CX set and bike running good--got Ignitech also. I got Larry's book and all those pictures and reading just scared me to death. However, time was on my side. I got that HF ultrasonic cleaner,etc. I did not have any problems at all.

I had a spare set I bought a few years ago---at that time I no knowledge of this bike and all. I recently purchased another set and was thinking to get another set up and running.

Well, you get what you pay for on ebay. Set was somewhat in good shape in general--of course not in running condition. First off , both mixture screws were frozen. Ultrasonic time. That did not work--extractor did not work --had to drill out. Read Larry's book and asked a couple of questions. I drilled out to the threads and decided to pick away the remaining brass, washer and the tiny O RING!!! and then used a tap to clean out--work great. I put that set aside for now.

Proceeded to work on the set that I bought a few yrs ago. Followed the book. This time the main emulsion jets were the problem. Apparently, some one else tried to get them out and failed. Of course the slot was about gone-. Ultransonic time---with a little help with an extractor( not in Larry's book)---not supposed to use since damage to threads could occur. I took the gamble and both came out.

Next were the dreaded !!! low jet emulsifying tubes. However, after the carb dippng and ultrasonic, they came out just as Larry states. That click when the jet broke loose scare me to death---broken extractor----well not the case.

As Larry states, CLEAN CLEAN AND CLEAN!!!!!!!

Waiting on rebuild kits

Thanks again Larry and to the this forum. Currently keeping up with the Triple by Pass that two members have going--great stuff

Now get your bike up and RIDE

·
Registered
948 Posts
Your post is motivating me to get the carburetors off of my bike this week and resolve the stuck float valve issue. I'll look into the ultrasonic cleaner while I am at it.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
It's pretty hard to deny what a master who has done hundreds of them says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got Larry's book last week, and read it, and looked over the posts here and there some more, and read the book some more, and took a deep breath and tore into my carbs Monday. I've been lucky so far that nothing's needed extracted, drilled, folded stapled or mutilated. Everything is just as Larry says it is, of course, including that you sure do need confidence to crack open these things - I jumped when my jets and emulsion tubes 'clicked' on removal too.

This time through is going to be a quick-and-dirty job to restore my right cylinder (hopefully) to firing, and kinda balance 'em as best I can, because the #60 and up drills nobody around here's heard of (hello again Ebay) and the ultrasonic cleaner is a paycheck or two and 100 miles away.

But the point of this too-long post is that once I'm done with it this time, thanks to Larry's guidance, it looks like it'll be a lead pipe cinch to do them right, with the right tools and equipment, next time. I'm grateful to Larry and everybody else here for sharing their expertise and giving me the confidence that I can do this and do it right... eventually

·
Registered
948 Posts
I brought home a set of standard welder's tip cleaners and will let you know how they work out instead of the drills. They come in a set, for pretty cheap, and they are common enough tools. They can certainly be mail ordered off the internet from Harbor Freight or other sources. The diameters of the cleaners are very close to the recommended drill bits in Larry's books. Now, I don't mean to say that I know better than Larry - quite the contrary. I also have the drills, in case my idea fizzles.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Wish my book would arrive...been waiting for it eagerly.

Took apart most everything on both carbs tonight that could be removed with screw drivers and a 8mm wrench.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.