Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got Larry's book yesterday in the mail, read it front to back 2 times. Dove into the rebuild/restoration process head first this morning.

I admit, there were a few parts of the book where I got completely lost and/or were too complicated. I also don't recollect seeing anything about the diaphrams on the sides of the carbs (this guy here)

Here are my "before" shots.

as i type this, the majority of the parts have been scrubbed down. I have a rebuild kit (gaskets only) and got most parts in shifts in the ultrasonic cleaner (simple green) everything is going along smoothly.

posted this in tech help, because I foresee problems later down the road (though hope not)

also, how to attach an image to my post?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
those are your air cut off valves.one per carb,if you have cleaned your carbs,you need to find and remove these.2 pozi screws hold them on to the side of each carb

[im3G] POST CODE HERE from flikr or photobucket [/img3]

take the 3 out and no gaps

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, already did that. when i bought the bike, the dude said there was a carb problem. After complete disassembly, I am leaning towards that the problem the carbs had was the diaphragm/air cut off on the left side. the rubber part was completely shot to shit, encased in dry gas and rust. Luckily, i have a "back up" set of carbs which I am pulling "the better of the set" for all parts (back up parts as well)

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
yes, already did that. when i bought the bike, the dude said there was a carb problem. After complete disassembly, I am leaning towards that the problem the carbs had was the diaphragm/air cut off on the left side. the rubber part was completely shot to shit, encased in dry gas and rust. Luckily, i have a "back up" set of carbs which I am pulling "the better of the set" for all parts (back up parts as well)
and to post an image.....?

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Only way I know to put up pix is using an offsite storage like photobucket and the like. Sorry you had to go through that lame "kit" stuff. See if you can pick up a Randakk kit, there are posts for that in the Quick Reference sticky.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so, as I am cleaning parts, I realized and read there was a part which shouldn't have gone in the ultra sonic cleaner...

the check valve/accell. pump. BUT - it was in the cleaner all day. book/manual says it would get dissolved, yet it still looks in tact.

There's a VERY small part (square in shape) in the center, will not budge free. Been spraying with carb cleaner...imperative to get it out and clean it, or should I bypass???

·
Registered
967 Posts
I too rebuilt my carbs per Larry's book. Some things I found helpful even after the Ultrasonic Cleaner were purchasing the small drill bits for all of the jets and uber small ports. Money well spent, and even though the ultrasonic does an amazing job, the bits helped out even more. Good luck and can't wait to see your progress.

For a Cleaner I used the Gallon "Gunk" Carb Cleaner. I think it was 22 bucks at Advanced Auto.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
been having a great time with this. I did the right carb first (so I can track parts better) and now started the left carb. amazing difference, and I didn't even polish the parts much.

rather than the random tiny drill bits, I had great results using strong rounded toothpicks. They are about perfect for the jet's holes, and they are soft enough not to damage the brass.

·
Registered
967 Posts
been having a great time with this. I did the right carb first (so I can track parts better) and now started the left carb. amazing difference, and I didn't even polish the parts much.

rather than the random tiny drill bits, I had great results using strong rounded toothpicks. They are about perfect for the jet's holes, and they are soft enough not to damage the brass.

There is nothing random about them!!! I can't remember the size of the low idle jets that Larry called out but .012 and .019 come to mind...I could be wrong; the low idle jet unless completely cleaned as Larry prescribes will only bite you later. If you don't have them, they are worth getting and are only a buck or two at a local hobby store, or available through McMaster Carr. They won't hurt the brass as they are perfectly sized for the holes, and will remove any leftovers from the ultrasonic.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
I've even heard of people using a wound "G-String".........BRILLANT!!!!!!!!!..................

When I restring my guitars I chop the ends off the strings and keep them for cleaning my carbs

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, here are the "after" pics. hit a couple hurdles along the road, and my fingers are crossed that everything will work well. I am nervous as hell to try it out.

putting it back in the bike w/ the cables/throttles is going to be a PITA. wish I had a nearby bike repair expert to help me out.

before

after

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I got the carbs built and looking decent. Decided, the carbs are important enough to invest a little more time/money into. Ended up shipping them off to mr. larry out in CA for some final check overs and polishing. I figured if going to do them, make sure they are perfect.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts