Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I'm new in here my name is Kris I have a question for anyone willing to help out I have a set of carbs cx500 custom I've been trying to rebuild my carbs so I ordered Larry's book and tryed to drilled out the emulsion slow jet nozzle tube with success the damn tap bitt broke inside and basically got stucked now and how I when And order Another set ofused carbs from a 78 deluxe my question is can I put the brass tube the one the 80 carbs custom have in the middle on the 78 deluxe ? Here's a picture of the part. Is from 1980 custom to a 78 deluxe ???any help will be appreciated thank you fellas Blue Wood Sleeve Material property Musical instrument accessory
Blue Wood Sleeve Material property Musical instrument accessory

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I believe your question is can you use the gas supply manifold from one cx carb set to the other. The reason may be that they have different vertical supply tube locations? I think the answer is yes, you can. The orings may be worn out though and need replacing.
Low speed jet removal works most successfully with a good quality extractor set, cheap ones break easier. Try the “drill-thread-pull with a screw” method, it carries less risk of failure.

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited by Moderator)
if you want t use the brass tube on the 78 carbs you will need to plug the 78 fuel filler that is on the side of one carb or it will leak fuel out
probably not worth doing
Okay thank you I kinda figured.would you say both carbs work almost the same a 1980 cx500 custom and a 78 cx500 deluxe or the custom with accelerate pump is better??? Thank you again for your positive feedback.

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay thanks. You also you mentioned the screw method. Would you happen to know the screw size ?
The carbs I'm trying to rebuild looked like they never service them as if the last owner had the bike sitting there for decades so much corrosion built up that the drill bit broke inside of it. It's stuck in there plus I had a leaky problem plus one of the sides that hold the pin that hold the flooat bowl is broken 😡 You see I had a mechanic work on them. Make a long story short he gave me back a different set of carbs but I didn't realize untill week later. Tthat's when I took them apart myself this why I decided to do it myself better reason why I'm a new member in the forum as of now it looks like ima need this part "1980-81 CX500C CX500 C CX 500C 500 KEIHIN CARB CARBURETOR RIGHT BODY VB25A" any advice where or may have one I tryed ebay and nothing ?

·
Super Moderator
5,795 Posts
Okay thanks. You also you mentioned the screw method. Would you happen to know the screw size ?
The screw is a #4-40.

drill bit broke inside of it.
If you were following Larry's carb book you probably using a screw extractor. They are brittle and easily broken when trying to pull out the jet. Once broken they are very difficult to remove as they are hardened steel.

It's stuck in there plus I had a leaky problem plus one of the sides that hold the pin that hold the flooat bowl is broken 😡 You see I had a mechanic work on them. Make a long story short he gave me back a different set of carbs but I didn't realize untill week later. Tthat's when I took them apart myself this why I decided to do it myself better reason why I'm a new member in the forum as of now it looks like ima need this part "1980-81 CX500C CX500 C CX 500C 500 KEIHIN CARB CARBURETOR RIGHT BODY VB25A" any advice where or may have one I tryed ebay and nothing ?

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The carbs I'm trying to rebuild looked like they never service them as if the last owner had the bike sitting there for decades so much corrosion built up that the drill bit broke inside of it. It's stuck in there plus I had a leaky problem plus one of the sides that hold the pin that hold the flooat bowl is broken 😡 You see I had a mechanic work on them. Make a long story short he gave me back a different set of carbs but I didn't realize untill week later. Tthat's when I took them apart myself this why I decided to do it myself better reason why I'm a new member in the forum as of now it looks like ima need this part "1980-81 CX500C CX500 C CX 500C 500 KEIHIN CARB CARBURETOR RIGHT BODY VB25A" any advice where or may have one I tryed ebay and nothing ?
Thank you very much for your time and ear much appreciated and by the way yes I was following Larry's book guide and Iwas thinking the same way that getting out it's not going to happen now I'm gonna keep looking for the right body side and try to extract the one on the left side ,,,, blessings brother

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,691 Posts
If you are more concerned about getting it running than about having everything 100% original you should probably be able to use the '78 carbs by connecting the fuel line from your petcock to the inlet they came with. Perhaps if you tell us where you are there might be someone nearby who can help you figure out what you have and what you need to do.

Welcome to the forum. Speaking of telling us where you are, please add your location and your bike's model and model year to your profile so that you don't have to remember to tell us every time and we don't have to keep asking when you forget (see Forum Settings link in my signature).

And welcome to the world of antique vehicle ownership (they own us, not the other way around). Present problem aside, your bike is about 4 decades old and may or may not have had all of the maintenance necessary to keep it safe & reliable so it is highly recommended to download the Factory Shop Manual for your model (available through the CX Wiki - link in my signature) and go through all of the service procedures, regardless of whether your bike has reached the specified mileage.
I also recommend looking on all rubber parts with suspicion because rubber does not age gracefully. Check the date codes on your tires and replace them if they are over 5 years old no matter how good they look & feel (old rubber simply cannot flow around the irregularities in the asphalt well enough to grip, especially if it is cool or wet). If your bike still has the original rubber brake line(s) (should be replaced every 2 or 3 fluid changes = 5 or 6 years) I recommend shopping for modern stainless braided ones (they last practically forever and double the life of the fluid). And don't forget things like the rad hoses and the boot between the engine and swingarm (they can crack on the bottom where you don't see it).

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for welcoming me to the forum the pleasure is mine bob with that been said Im in the united states' of America los Angeles California to be exact..I have a 1980 cx500 custom and to answer your question basically I'm just trying to get it running again of course once I'm finished building my cafe racer ...it's not an easy task but I lost faith in terms of taking it to mechanics I've had horrible experiences which let me to do everything myself and I must say I enjoy every single moment of it and like you said she owns me from sun up to sun down I'm currently on unemployed due to an injury at work so this past 6 months it's been all about my bike days and nights of reading, researches,and learning new things and I enjoy every single moment of it ... anyhow I read a discussion about the different variant of carbs some with accelerate pump some with none and about how it's not a good idea mixing different models with other carb numbersy question to you is this one the carbs that came with my 1980 custom have VB 25 A-RG
Say I find another right side to replace the one I need with a 1980 custom VB 25 with other numbers or letters say like a VB25 A-FG what are those numbers and letters ?? Does it have to be everything the same or as long it has VB25 is okay ??? I found a set of carbs some one from Japan they are VB25 the person didn't describe more other than VN25's
I guess for now gonna do what you advised me to do use the 78 's I got here and clean them And finish rebuilding it .use this set instead the 78's have VB26 A -A-PK7 on it ??? Any input will help out okay bob well I'll end it here for now thanks

·
Super Moderator
18,691 Posts
I don't know how you managed it but you somehow had what I said quoted several times all mixed into each other with your reply in the quote. I fixed that for you. Next time if you don't need to quote what someone said just type the reply in the box below the last post instead of clicking the reply button (that can be confusing to new people).

It is nice that you have said where you are in this thread but if you add it to your profile anyone can see where you are by mousing over your avatar pic (try it with mine to see what I mean) any time you post in any thread.
The same goes for adding your bike's model and year to your profile. You should see my bike's info below my forum name.

As I said, you might be able to use the '70 carbs on your '80 bike by attaching the fuel line that comes from the petcock to the inlet that the '78 carbs already have.

BTW: The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Hi Kris,
Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with your carbs. As for getting a right side body, I think I have one, see below. But I need to know the full # after the 25A. What letter is inside the little square box? Maybe post a picture of it. If you'd like, you can send me the left body to get the broken easy out of. I have a pretty good track record of getting them out as long as you haven't tried drilling on it and hurt the passage.
Send me a "Conversation" if your interested and we'll work out the details.
Larry

Here's the # on the right side carb body I have.
Rim Bicycle part Gas Nickel Auto part

Reactions: Sidecar Bob

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Kris,
Sorry to hear you've had so much trouble with your carbs. As for getting a right side body, I think I have one, see below. But I need to know the full # after the 25A. What letter is inside the little square box? Maybe post a picture of it. If you'd like, you can send me the left body to get the broken easy out of. I have a pretty good track record of getting them out as long as you haven't tried drilling on it and hurt the passage.
Send me a "Conversation" if your interested and we'll work out the details.
Larry

Here's the # on the right side carb body I have.
View attachment 213849

Attachments

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know how you managed it but you somehow had what I said quoted several times all mixed into each other with your reply in the quote. I fixed that for you. Next time if you don't need to quote what someone said just type the reply in the box below the last post instead of clicking the reply button (that can be confusing to new people).

It is nice that you have said where you are in this thread but if you add it to your profile anyone can see where you are by mousing over your avatar pic (try it with mine to see what I mean) any time you post in any thread.
The same goes for adding your bike's model and year to your profile. You should see my bike's info below my forum name.

As I said, you might be able to use the '70 carbs on your '80 bike by attaching the fuel line that comes from the petcock to the inlet that the '78 carbs already have.

BTW: The best advice anyone can give you about customizing any vehicle is to get it safe & reliable in more or less original condition and use it for a while before you start making any changes so it can tell you what changes it needs to make it do what you want/need better. That approach almost always results in something you actually want to keep and use but making changes based on style or on what someone else (who may or may not really understand how the changes affect the way it works) has done often results in a piece of expensive yard art that you can't stand sitting on for more than a few minutes and might even be dangerous.

I filled out my profile already hope I did it right ? I don't know how I managed that that was my bad I apologize for any confusions...

·
Super Moderator
18,691 Posts
And once again you clicked the quote reply button and typed your reply inside the part you quoted. This time I didn't fix it so you can see what this looks like. As I said before, don't use that unless you need to quote. And if you do make sure you don't type anything before the end quote tag (looks like this [/QUOTE] )

Your bike and location are showing where they should now.

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And once again you clicked the quote reply button and typed your reply inside the part you quoted. This time I didn't fix it so you can see what this looks like. As I said before, don't use that unless you need to quote. And if you do make sure you don't type anything before the end quote tag (looks like this
)

[/QUOTE]
And once again you clicked the quote reply button and typed your reply inside the part you quoted. This time I didn't fix it so you can see what this looks like. As I said before, don't use that unless you need to quote. And if you do make sure you don't type anything before the end quote tag (looks like this
)

[/QUOTE]

·
Super Moderator
5,795 Posts
In trying to help you Bob inadvertently shows what happens when {QUOTE} appears in the wrong place in a post. That is why the ) is outside the quoted part of the post.

Note that I had to change [ to { so that the same wouldn't happen to this post.

·
Registered
1980 cx500 custom
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I honestly don't know how it's happening but I'm only pressing the reply button not the quote one for this one what I did is erase everything and just wrote onit did I messed up again?

·
Super Moderator
5,795 Posts
I honestly don't know how it's happening but I'm only pressing the reply button not the quote one for this one what I did is erase everything and just wrote on it did I messed up again?
No Kris this one is fine. When you reply to a post you can preview it before posting by clicking the preview button. Failing that, take a look at it after posting. You can edit your own posts by clicking the three dot link at the extreme top right of any of your posts.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts