Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First time posting on the new site, but I've been doing a lot of reading.

I'm in the middle of a double by-pass (the chain is in good shape) on my 1980 CX500. There's been a small weep around my water pump. Then my gen failed. As a result I've gotten very good at push starting. So I did some reading, ordered parts and finally decided it was time to pull the engine. The hardest part so far was getting the exhaust off, and I'm not looking forward to putting it back on. But that will be another topic.

Since I had everything apart and easy access, I wanted to take my carbs apart and clean them up again. I was rushed last time and did not do that good of a job. I also wanted to polish everything up nicely this time as well. The problem came when I was putting things away for the night. I dropped the vacuum piston with the Jet Needle in it. The fall bent the needle and flattened the tip. I was able to straighten out the needle enough to allow it to move smoothly, but I know the flat tip will affect performance. I want to buy a couple of new needles but I don't want to pay the $50 from a honda dealer. I should be able to get an aftermarket needle but I don't know what size. Aftermarket Keihin and Mikuni needles run around $10 +/- a few $$.

Does anyone know a part number or cross reference? And a source?

The old needle has a 53F on it.

these are the measurements as precise as I could measure

Over all length 53mm

Tip to ridge 52mm

Ridge to start of tapper 26mm

Start of taper to tip 27mm

diameter 2.5mm

Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
11,462 Posts
Welcome to the ultimate resource for these bikes. Add your bike model and year to the signature line so we can always see it when posting.

If you haven't done so, take a look in the General Discussion section for the Quick Reference topic, as you will find a downloadable factory service manual, as well as many other great gems. That includes the best resource for carb issues. We have a resident carb/restoration guru on the forum named Larry, whose handle is LRCXed. He has written a very highly regarded book on the carbs for these bikes, and some of that information will be in that QR I mentioned.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thxs for the welcome.

I go through the QR postings all the time. Whenever I do anything on the bike I end up looking through there and have always found an answer. That's probably why I'm a newbie, haven't had the need to ask anything.

I've read many of Larry's post, that's what got me though my first rebuild of the carbs a couple of years ago. He also got me started on polishing. There is a local bike shop that I've been told does good carb work. I'm going to swing by there tomorrow and ask for their input. If no luck there, then I will send a message to Larry asking him. I just have a hard time believing that I'm the first person who needs to replace a needle in one of these carbs. I've done work in newer carbs and have been able to get aftermarket parts but I've always been able to find cross references to the OEM.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts