Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.last riding season I had my carbs cleaned.

The guy was a hack.first off I've got two hoses that come off the bottom of the carbs.one on the left runs to the pep cock.the one on the right isn't connected.I don't know where it goes.also there is a bigger hose that comes from the pep cock and runs to a hard line that runs between both carbs.well where it goes into the right carb it leaks gas.any help or hose diagrams would be greatly appreciated.thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
Depends on what model and year your bike is, but here is a general idea. Put that info in your signature line, that will help us all help you.

The line off B goes down behind the carbs and under the bike, it is a vent hose to the atmosphere.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok all my lines look correct except line b is connected to a spot directly under the carb.so ill move that.

how about the two spots on the bowl of each carb that looks like a line should be connected?maybe they connect together?also where line a hooks up i have a leak where it goes into the carb.could this be a vacume problem maybe?

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
ok all my lines look correct except line b is connected to a spot directly under the carb.so ill move that.

how about the two spots on the bowl of each carb that looks like a line should be connected?maybe they connect together?also where line a hooks up i have a leak where it goes into the carb.could this be a vacume problem maybe?

Those nipples on the carb bodies are also vents and do not have anything attached to them. Line A is the main fuel supply, and if it has a leak it needs replacing. Yes, that would cause a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its not the line that is leaking.line A runs to a T.then it branches to each carb.right where it goes into the carb it is leaking.I don't know if that's an o ring or what.also if I pull it apart to fix it will I have to re sync the carbs?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Its not the line that is leaking.line A runs to a T.then it branches to each carb.right where it goes into the carb it is leaking.I don't know if that's an o ring or what.also if I pull it apart to fix it will I have to re sync the carbs?
To reach that junction the carbs would need to be separated, so yes in all likelihood they would need the synch checked when reassembled.Search the forum for details on how to separate and rejoin the carbs. There are linkages and springs that need to be properly installed.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts

Maybe I am missing something here, but are you telling us that this guy connected the petcock to the "Float Drain" on the bottom of the carb?

·
Super Moderator
11,471 Posts
The petcock is the valve that screws into the tank, acts as a shut off. Some are vacuum, some are not. Vacuum ones have three nipples, one is the main fuel outlet, one is the vacuum from right carb (*I think*), and the third is the atmosphere vent. Non vacuum petcocks just have two nipples, fuel out, and vent. What Shep means is that there is a way to make a vacuum petcock into a non vacuum, by disabling the vacuum internals in the petcock.

Are you saying you don't have a petcock at all?

Here is what mine looks like.

From the left side of the bike looking towards the front. Tank is just above the petcock. Line comes out that, and over to my filter, then to the center of the carbs inlet, where you say you have your leak. You can barely make out one of the other two nipples just above and left of the filter. I don't recall which it is, the vent or the vacuum.

The advice on the leak others have given is right, you will need to repair that connector tube if it's not the line that leaks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.