Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's bike was running good, but yesterday and today, it seems the idle is way too low. I have to pull the choke cable out a little in order to get the bike to idle and not die at stops. It wasn't doing this before. Where should I start looking. I don't want to tear it down right now, because I have my other Silverwing torn down right now to start painting. Her bike is the '81 Gl500i. I also feel a little hesitation and exhaust popping on the right side during acceleration. I'm new to bikes, and don't know what to look at first. Any ideas would be appreciated. By the way, it has plenty of power at top end, but idles around 700 and then dies.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
1st quick things to do.

Take out the Air filter and use some compressed air to blow it clean and make sure there's no crud or wee beasties living in the Airbox.

Then spray some Carb/Brake cleaner around all sides of the Carb boots with the bike idling to check for air leaks as per 1t part of here,

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=110

Also check the fuel filler cap small vent hole is not restricted and that there is no fault with the fuel flow from the petcock.If Vacuum Petcock check all pipes.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Open the carb bowl drain screws and let some fuel out, and perhaps a little water too? Idle should be more like 1100 rpm, there is a black plastic knob beneath and between the carbs, turning in CW increases idle rpm, but it's "upside down" on the bottom of the carb, so you must think about which way is "in". Run some Startron or other carb cleaner in the gas tank for a couple of tankfuls, if the problem is recent that may help clear them up some.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bluewing,

I had similar issues as your wife's bike. The air cleaner and the idle adjuster are good ideas. Follow through with those and also, while messing with the idle adjuster, try some locktite on the screw so that engine vibration does not loosen the screw. This is what my mechanic friend recommended to me a while back. Seems to be working for me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep! Yep! YEP!!!--- Do all those things above, these great forum members said-- (This techniques are also be know as " the poor mans carb tune technique) For a little bit of effort (and $)-- ALOT a" Bit of improvement can be had!!

Good luck. (and it really does work) P.S.. SEAFOAM is an excellent ingredient in this elixir.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.