Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any aftermarket part for the carb insulator? The little rubber thing that connect the carb to the engine. Mine is cracked, I sealed it with high-temp silicone, but I'm guessing that will only last a few weeks at best. Is it really going to cost 120 for a set of 2 rubber tubes?

·
Super Moderator
15,418 Posts
Well the going price is about $50 a side. The right high temp silicone should hold just fine. Some have used Shoe goo.

There isn't an aftermarket source.

I have often wondered if the rubber itself could be replaced with large fuel hose. I had one a left side that was all cracked up and removed the rubber. Seems like a replacement could be made if measured right.

But it's all speculation.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
What about the proper size radiator hose cut to fit?

This might even be a solution for those impossible to find pieces that go from the airbox to the carbs.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What about the proper size radiator hose cut to fit?

This might even be a solution for those impossible to find pieces that go from the airbox to the carbs.

I'm not sure how well the radiator hose would hold up to the gasoline. Since it was made for coolant and water, the gasoline may eat the rubber....but it may work....I'm not 100% sure either way.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Would there be interest in these if I made a mold? At the same price as a new set, I can get a 5lb bucket of mix. That should be a hundred or more of these insulators.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
There probably would be an interest, especially for the ones that go from the airbox to the carbs as they seem to be impossible to find.

People that strip these bikes down and ell the parts on eBay rarely realize that some of the parts that appear to have no value are actually in a decent demand position. I wish eBay would add a "want to buy" capability in selected areas that sellers could read.

·
Registered
595 Posts
In a pinch when I was about 1000 miles home I actually used duct tape and bubblegum, and it ran better than it had ever ran in the time that I had owned it. Then I coughed up the dough for the brand new ones and it ran even better. (and it kept getting better from there). If you get them from a Honda shop you may be able to get free shipping. That's what mine did.

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,480 Posts
The member you quoted hasn't been on the forum for about nine years. I'm guessing he never made the mold.

Randall

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.