Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1980 Honda cx500 carb adjustment ? Hello everyone I figured someone would know, My right carb seems to be running rich, my left carb smells fine well i am going by how it smells out the back end... lol, should I adjust the air mixture on the right or bottom both out and take em out 2 turns each any help would be awesome...

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
1980 Honda cx500 carb adjustment ? Hello everyone I figured someone would know, My right carb seems to be running rich, my left carb smells fine well i am going by how it smells out the back end... lol, should I adjust the air mixture on the right or bottom both out and take em out 2 turns each any help would be awesome...
it is possible to tune each carb individually,but,are you sure there is not another issue.

take both plugs out,compare them[or post a photo]and let the guys know what you find

·
Registered
602 Posts

Be careful when sniffing exhaust and trying to diagnose carb issues. Besides the obvious issues of sniffing exhaust, the stock H-box is not just a box as it has internal cross-overs to redirect flow. For example, your right cylinder can be rich, and the left muffler outlet is the one that may smell more like it. A better way of determining rich vs lean is to pull and view spark plugs.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool thanks guys did not think of that, will do. I will take pics this morning & post. When its cold i see more gas fumes out of right side exhaust then left when warn none just the smells rich. i know i need to rebuild carbs but that won't happen till a few weeks from now. she idles ok, rides fine 3.8 gallons of fuel burned got me 135 miles. think i could be doing better. thanks will post pics in a little while.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Having just taken my carbs apart & cleaning the idle jets, replacing the throttle cables... She runs much smoother! I ran the mixture screws out 1 5/8 turns each & all seems good. Before I tackled the carbs she idled & ran ok... I was getting 46 mpg over the last 3,100 miles. So your 35mpg seems low. Very easy job!

Good Luck

Gary

1 - 6 of 6 Posts