Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Larry's carb book recommends a couple of tiny drill bits that are numbered drill bits.

Xacto sells a 20 piece tiny drill bit set that goes for $33.99 +shipping that has the sizes one would need. It is decent carbon steel and has a small footprint case with the drill bits.

Squadron Tools (squadron a huge plastic model kit seller) Has a 20 piece set of numbered drills from 61-80 for $11.29

Zona (owned by same company that makes Foredom which is big in powered shaft rotary carving equipment) sells their 20 pc numbered drills for $24.39

squadron bits

Xacto bits

zona bits

Had I known the Squadron were available so cheaply I would have ordered them from Tower.

Probably all made in China.

Here's a link to look up the numbered drill bit sizes in decimal or metric. numbered size Xref

The 0.018 drill bit is a #77

The 0.031 drill bit is a #68

I don't have my book handy to see if there are other bits needed...

Hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Most Hobby Shops will have the bits and sell them individually. If you buy those sets, you will be paying for a lot of bits you will not likely ever use. I wrote down the numbers for the ones Larry recommended, and bought a spare of each. I think they sell for 1.99 each at most shops, some are sold in 4 packs in case you break them.

I also picked up what is called a pin-vise to hold the bits. It is an aluminum collet arrangement basically with a wooden ball type handle--worked great. Larry showed a Hemastat, this works too, but I liked the pin vise much better.

·
Registered
967 Posts

·
Super Moderator
23,734 Posts
One thing these tip cleaners can do that the drill bits can't is that you can bend the last 5mm of the appropriate sized tip cleaner at a 90 degree angle to get those 3 little holes in the bottom of the main body under the throttle butterflies.

I'm not biased, I use both.

I've also been using interdental brushes which are like tiny bottle brushes.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I've been using the snipped off ends of my Guitar strings for years.Never a problem

I know you like the strings...do you fish the guitar strings through the carb body ports to clean them? I did not do this on my last rebuild but might on the next go around. The jets and brass bits are one thing, but the actual carb body ports...thats another!

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
I know you like the strings...do you fish the guitar strings through the carb body ports to clean them? I did not do this on my last rebuild but might on the next go around. The jets and brass bits are one thing, but the actual carb body ports...thats another!

I use then down the Brass venturi from the top and under the Black Banana and the E or B strings into the holes either side of the Throttle plates but also blast through with Carb/Brake cleaner during and afterwards just to make sure fluid flows through all of them.In other words no matter what I use I check with Carb/Brake cleaner that fluid can flow where it's supposed to and nothing is blocked

I NEVER use them in the primary and secondary main jets.I just boil them in a pan with a bit of washing soda crystals/washing up liquid and then high pressure blow out

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,106 Posts
The 0.018 drill bit is a #77

The 0.031 drill bit is a #68

I don't have my book handy to see if there are other bits needed...
I haven't gotten my bits yet, but I did write them down to search eBay.

From Larry's description, we need the following sizes:

.085 = #44

.042 = #58

.040 = #60

.039 = #61

.031 = #68

.026 = #71

.024 = #73

.018 = #77

The welding tip cleaner for the holes under the throttle plate is .023.

Thanks for the links.

R

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Squadron has a website and sells it for a bit more, so even though the shipping is less at Squadron it is a little more expensive for me than Tower Hobbies.

But that might not be true for everyone.

Here's Squadron's website link to the drill bits for $13.48 Squadron drill bit set

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.