Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a carb problem. The right side is leaking.

Well it was more like weeping now it is flowing out the overflow tube.

I pretty much figured it is one of 3 things.

1) stuck float valve - put the stock one back in last night because I thought this might be it but it did not help

2) cracked overflow tube - I have soldered the royal piss out of these things. I had my propane torch on it trying to get that brass tube to take solder! Is there a secret I am missing!?!?!? Got the left one but not so sure about the right one...

3) messed up drain screw. - I can pour gas into it and have it not leak until I remount the carbs then drip drip drip.

So I decided that I would swap the carb bowls and see if the problem followed the bowl.

The right side was weeping a little to start with before the swap. I swapped the bowls and now the right side pours out as fast as the little hose can carry it, literally. The left side is still happy and holding gas.

Hard to test for over heating when your losing gas so fast that your test tank is empty before you reach temp!

So I do not think I learned anything with this test. I have not swapped them back but I am about ready to just go to hobby lobby and get some brass tubes to 'sleeve' the overflow tubes with.

Is there a method of getting brass to take solder or is it just get it hotter? I had it as hot as I was comfortable with and the solder melted as it made contact with the part. If it was copper I would have said ti was too hot but the brass did not take solder well. What am I missing?

Is it better to cut the tubes off, drill out the holes, and try to press new ones in? Or is it better to sleeve them? Or is there a solder that is made for brass? I have soldered to copper and tin and all kinds of stuff between plumbing and being an electronics engineer. I am familiar with soldering but this brass is just refusing it. If it is just more heat I can break out my mapp gas torch and get it hot enough to slag the bowl. I might feel better after doing that too!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
So I decided that I would swap the carb bowls and see if the problem followed the bowl.

The right side was weeping a little to start with before the swap. I swapped the bowls and now the right side pours out as fast as the little hose can carry it, literally. The left side is still happy and holding gas.

--------------------------------

So I do not think I learned anything with this test.

If the left side bowl is not leaking now and it was when it was on the right,

I think it would mean the problem is not the float bowl,,wouldn't it?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the left side bowl is not leaking now and it was when it was on the right,

I think it would mean the problem is not the float bowl,,wouldn't it?

I think you are right.

Now that I am not annoyed and you speak with rational thought.

So the carbs come out again to be revisited.

The float valve most likely.

I find I have been so disappointed by this that every time I touch it anymore I get annoyed and cannot see the project rationally. I usually would have seen the obvious truth you shared.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As soon as you build a fixture so you can work on the carbs without reinstalling them they stop leaking!

It is more like by the time your so sick of pulling them that you build a fixture you have done everything except the one thing you needed to do!

Either way the bowls are not leaking. I think it was Larry who said to put some tooth paste on a Q tip and polish the Float Valve contact are... well that seemed to take care of it.

I drove around about 75 miles today and will pull plugs tomorrow to see what I need to adjust.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.