Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1981 cx500 i have a great imagintaion and decided to make a build out of it. After getting halfway through the build the bike started acting up. I tore out the air box and replaced with pod filters, should i have adjusted my air flow mix since i changed the amount of air coming in? I tried adjusting the mixture screw and when i loosened the screw i heard a pop! Turns out the pop was the piece around the adjustment screw breaking off!!! The only carb i can find is $194! Is there anyway to bondo this piece back on or maybe jb weld??? any help appreciated thanks in advance!!!

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Your answer is no. You need to replace it with the right part after removing the broken part. Contact LRCXed Larry and maybe he can help you. He did make a special tool for pushing out broken needles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The needle itself is still attached to the broking housing it is ok. Just need to find a solution to put the thread housing back on the carb without buying a complete carb.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
When the cap breaks off it means the threads of the needle is corroded and frozen in place. I have had some luck putting the carbs in my heated ultrasonic cleaner to loosen the threads enough to get them out. If that does not work, drilling a hole in it and using an EZout works most of the time. If that fails I have to drill out the needle and run a tap in the body to clean out the threads again. You have to be careful doing this so the drill is centered. Otherwise you will ruin the body if you drill out the aluminum. This repair is also covered in my book. Link is in my signature.

Good luck.

Larry

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I put a picture in my profile of the piece that is broken, however i could not figure out how to put the pic in the message! If you could take a look at the picture i would appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Blake, I totally missed what part you meant that popped off. There is no way to repair that. The carb is shot. DOA! I have several sets of carbs rebuilt that you may be interested in. They are completely rebuilt tested and balanced already. They are $265 shipped. But since your running pods you will have to re jet them. If your only looking to replace the one carb, give me the # on the side of it and I'll see if I have a spare body I can sell.

Larry

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
That # doesn't look correct. Clean the #'s off and take a better look at it.

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
I should have asked earlier. But is it the right or left carb?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is the right carb. Im going to try jb weld since its a clean break its a shot in the dark but if it works itll be worth a shot!

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
OK good luck. Make SURE you have no extra glue inside. Any seepage inside could block the hole, or keep the oring from sealing the chamber.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Larry if this works is there anyway to adjust the carbs so its rideable with the pods without rejetting til i come up with the fund to rejet? Running low on funds for this build! Just want to get some ride time in before i tear down to paint and chop the front end!

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
If I were you, I would put the air box back in. There isn't much you can do without re-jetting. Have you changed the pipes too?

·
Super Moderator
2,853 Posts
Not the exact # you have. I only have a complete set with # 28ACSG. They have been sonic cleaned but not rebuilt yet. I can't split that set up though. Sorry but I don't have a single carb body for you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts