Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, after putting my bike back together from changing seals; I went to start her up to look for leaks, and it started then sky-rocketed up to about 4500rpms; I quickly shut it off to prevent damage; tried to start it again with the same problem; I figured throttle cables; after I changed both cables; went to go start again and this time it won't even hold a solid idle it'll turn over a few times then die; I changed both the battery and fuel filter, it's been about a year since the air filter; checked it but it still looks clean. any suggestions? thanks

·
Registered
839 Posts
Try to restart the bike and then have a look at the plugs. See if they are wet. What did you find on the old throttle cables. Throttle stop to low? You may want to look at the plugs befor you try to restart. See what condition there in.

Black is not good. Started twice and went to 4500, then only runs a little bit on the next start ups? Right?

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I remember when those were "good" odds... What does a doughnut cost these days anyway?

I really Dunno, but my leaking airbox boot along with a clogged breather tube limited my engine to about 5k and it had a tough time staying there... That particular cyl on the leaking side did not want to run at all at times.

These things are big air pumps and Abe could be right if the plugs were dry indicating some lean running. As ki4 suggests, wet plugs would indicate the opposite.

The second condition sounds like a bike when the choke is not working . This again would be indicated by dry plugs.

Fully Cleaning my EGR syst (airbox, breather tube, drain tube(s) and the hidden return filter in the bottom of the airbox) got my bike running smoothly. None of those issues caused a lean condition or have I experienced a runaway throttle. Soooo since I'm a gambler guesser

I'll bet one dollar to two doughnunts that Larry could chime in here with something carb related (mixed up jets maybe) if the throttle cable and stops are correct.

P.S. What seals did you change? is this a pre 81Cx

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright guys, I tried restarting today and a glimmer of hope she turned over and held an idle for about a minute or two(full choke) and then jumped up to 4grand on the rpms and I brought the choke down to half and then she had trouble and died. I tried to get her going again with no luck I checked the plugs and they were black and wet; I changed them both today and tried a restart with no luck and am charging up the battery for another try. I changed the choke cable fairly recently, I have changed the clutch cover seal, engine cover seal and cam shaft seal. I noticed the boots from the carbs to the engine were a little cracked, also not sure the last time the carbs were cleaned. She was running fine before I changed the seals(except for the oil leak), now I can't get her back to life. nolavox where is the breather tube, drain tube and the hidden return filter located?; I'll check them for a blockage. thanks guys

·
Registered
839 Posts
There, the drain tubes with the filters are under the bike at the end of the hose. there are two. Under the air box. That should not have fluid in there if it is draining. The air tubes may be the crank case vents that come from the water thermostat area. There under the fuel tank, a left one and right. They then tee together to one hose and come into the breather box where the air filter sits.

Of course since the plugs are wet,(both?),the carbs are not functioning properly. Lite cracks on the intake boots can be filled in with a sealer to get things running for now.

The auto parts store has a window silicon sealer that is runny. Or you can use liquid tape from the hardware store.

If you hold the choke to long that can also wet the plugs. After thought.

It would of been nice to know what the plugs looked like before the restart. Hein sight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts