Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1979 cx500 stock 5,900 km.

Bought this bike from a coworker a few weeks ago. Just got the safety about a week back and took it out for the first real ride today beyond testing around the neighbourhood. Rode approx 30 km on country roads, went through all the gears without incident, multiple stops, etc. took her up to 95 km/h. Everything performed really well. Then I pulled off suddenly into a parking lot, didn't downshift, just squeezed the clutch and coasted for a few seconds.... when I tried to downshift to neutral it would not shift down! So I thought perhaps my memory failed me and I had already downshifted to 1st.... so I tried shifting up to neutral.... no deal.

Basically I could click down one gear and click back up to the same gear....but that was it. Beyond that, the shift lever would not move and there was no sound or feel of movement. And no neutral light. So I kept the clutch disengaged and shut the bike off. With it off, I tried shifting again but no change... I could only go up one/down one. I can't remember exactly what gear I was in when I pulled off road, but my guess is those clicks were me shifting between 3rd and 2nd or perhaps 4th and 3rd (which would explain why I wasn't getting into neutral).

So I started up again and crept forward with lots of throttle (I was probably in 2nd) and once I got the speed up a bit doing circles in the parking lot I was able to shift into neutral, and through all the gears again..... Maybe I should have started with that: bike is back to normal and I rode it home without incident.

So my question: is there something I don't know about the gearing mechanism of this bike? I'm brand new to the cx500. Does it only shift in/out of higher gears at speed? Or do I have symptoms of a larger problem? Previous owner says he never had any shifting problems. Last oil change was done by me, within last 7 days. Rotella t 15-40 and filter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi. On bikes in general you need to have the shafts moving in order to shift, and this is when the bike is moving. You can get around this by riding the clutch and giving it a little throttle while you manipulate the shifter. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to put it on the center stand and play with the rear wheel while shifting with your hand with the bike off. As far as the riding the clutch method, I have shifted completely through the gears in this manner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi. On bikes in general you need to have the shafts moving in order to shift, and this is when the bike is moving. You can get around this by riding the clutch and giving it a little throttle while you manipulate the shifter. Probably the easiest thing to do would be to put it on the center stand and play with the rear wheel while shifting with your hand with the bike off. As far as the riding the clutch method, I have shifted completely through the gears in this manner.
thanks for your reply, dont I feel silly. Shouldn't I always be able to get back into neutral though?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts