Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the bike out of it's long hibernation and can't reach the shifter without resting my heel on the foot peg.It doesn't look bent but it also is far forward of the apparent cutout in the exhaust cover is this normal?And for the record I wear size 11 boots so I don't think they are the problem.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
You probably have the wrong shifter on there,,I am guessing you have a standard or deluxe bike with a custom shifter.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,439 Posts
Or the foot pegs mounted backward. Or maybe pegs from a Standard/Deluxe?

R

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Or the foot pegs mounted backward. Or maybe pegs from a Standard/Deluxe?

R

It could be, but he says the cutout in the exhaust shield is not lined up with the shifter ,,so I went with the custom shifter.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,439 Posts
It could be, but he says the cutout in the exhaust shield is not lined up with the shifter ,,so I went with the custom shifter.
Oops! Misread it. I thought he said it aligned with the heat shield.

R

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
you could try wearing different shoes

No ? Ok

The custom shifter and swapped pegs suggestions sound good to me

but it may be worth checking it hasnt been bent whilst in storage

as well

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
"you could try wearing different shoes"

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The shoe pics are funny, believe it or not I was thinking of putting something on the toe of my boot.lol.I'll check it in the daylight tomorrow and see whats up.I just got it together after it had been dormant since 92 and just rode today.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Some people have way too much time on their hands or feet?

The shifter should measure very near 6" from center of foot peg to center of shifter.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel stupid, I just saw a pic in the for sale section the shifter on the bike there was above the exhaust Mine is below do I have it upside down?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I feel stupid, I just saw a pic in the for sale section the shifter on the bike there was above the exhaust Mine is below do I have it upside down?

Yep.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Allright now thanks for the help and the shifter offer.But after fixing dummy mistake got a nice 30 mile ride with a buddy so a good day yeaterday.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Allright now thanks for the help and the shifter offer.But after fixing dummy mistake got a nice 30 mile ride with a buddy so a good day yeaterday.

Don't feel bad. I was going to suggest that to you because I had the same problem. The previous owner had it mounted that way and I put it back that way. Then I saw a brochure online for the CX and thought Duh!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

Glad you got it figured out! Sometimes it's tough to figure out somebodies bloopers! Rides are good!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts