Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so glad I bought a motorcycle this year. I travel a lot for work, and my 1/2 ton 4wd is only getting about 13 mpg. I have rode the Silverwing the last two days and have saved about $40 in gas. It has been cold - and windy - but I would rather have the extra money in our pocket than wasting it on gas. I've ordered a rain suit and told my wife that I will be riding everyday unless it is forcasted to rain all day or the wind is too hard. When you and your wife spend a combined total of at least $1200 per month on gas, you have to be creative in order to come up with a way to save money. Thank you to all of you that have given me advice on different aspects of our new bikes. As soon as mine is finished, my wife and I will both be riding almost every day. Hmmm, what to do with all the extra money - maybe get me a GoldWing???????????

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
I'm the same way except for going to work which is only 3 miles away. The truck gets 50 miles a week. In the winter it gets 13-14 but in the summer it gets 18-20. But when the bike can get 40-50 you cant beat it.

My not using the truck has given me the ability to spend more on my bike. Maybe even another one some day. When I can handle it. Early goldwing would be nice.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I hope to be able to ride a lot this year too and as a result save money on gas over driving the truck. My round trip commute is 60 miles, so the savings add up quickly. Granted I have insurance, maintenance and repairs on the bike, but I still end up saving some money, while having fun at the same time.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Unfortunately, I don't save a whole lot on gas because our car gets 25mpg and since my wife and I almost always ride together, 50mpg/2=25. Same as the car. The bikes are a little better in town than the car of course. I am more interested in the ride than the gas savings anyway, so it's all good.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I completely understand your happiness, my truck gets about 15-16 mpg and I drive about 200 miles a week. For the past few months that has meant about a $55 fill up every week. Today I filled the CX for the first time this season after 144 miles and also several 10 minute idling tests and paid a whopping $13! Now if it would just stay warm and stop raining I'll be set.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm hoping to be able to ride much more this year for the exact same reason. My truck gets a whopping 9 MPG and I have to run premium in it. Let the riding season begin!!

·
Registered
27 Posts
This was the reason I bought mine, too! I've got a 1 ton diesel dually that seems to drink fuel faster than I can drink water. I ride the bike as often as I can. Often, I'm the only bike on the road, and those Harley guys think they're so tough! Not a one of them rides the weather I do.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
This was the reason I bought mine, too! I've got a 1 ton diesel dually that seems to drink fuel faster than I can drink water. I ride the bike as often as I can. Often, I'm the only bike on the road, and those Harley guys think they're so tough! Not a one of them rides the weather I do.

Chrome don't like bad weather

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Back when I worked in an office I'd ride my motorcycle until there was snow on the ground. Unfortunately, that was over 25 years ago. Back then I changed professions and now I need a truck to haul all my tools. It really attacks the bottom line when I spend over $100 a week just to drive to job sites.

Of course, I sure enjoy remodeling houses compared to supervising office workers. So, all is good.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
The problem for me is that my bike just will not go the short route. It took me over an hour yesterday to go to the atm, which is hardly 10 minutes away.

Oh well, it was fun.

Heh Heh.Mine is the same.Especially on a Sunny day

·
Registered
27 Posts
Chrome don't like bad weather

Well, I did buy it to ride it, it's my first bike ever and it wasn't in real nice shape in the first place. If I knew last year when I bought it what I know now, I probably wouldn't have bought it. I paid $1300 for it, which is probably twice what I should have paid, but it's been a good learning experience. The chrome needs to be re-chromed, it was completely de-badged and has some amount of rust on it. It runs really well, though, and that's really what I'm most interested in. I really am amazed at how well it runs, so likely I'll get my $1300 out of it in the end. Probably when I'm done with it the best thing to do would be to part it out. In the meantime, it's my main ride in place of that honkin' diesel dually, (which IS fun to drive in it's own right).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.