Honda CX 500 Forum banner

161 - 180 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Your bikes looking very good so far! Love that paint job you did to the emblems on the engine! Thanks for the shout out to :)
Thanks a bunch Greasemonkey247!! It was only fair that you got the credit for such a great idea. I have been following your build as well and I must say you have come up with a lot of those neat little solutions to make things easier and functional. For example using the tapping tool to hold the adjustment screws instead of the vice grip and screw...absolute genius! I wish I had seen that before I adjusted mine as it would've made life so much easier lol.
That bike of yours was in rough shape but you're giving it new life. Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great headlight links, MM! I've been using the wrong search terms...the AliExpress link made it clear. What I'm looking for is 2.5" projector lamps for this build. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
Great headlight links, MM! I've been using the wrong search terms...the AliExpress link made it clear. What I'm looking for is 2.5" projector lamps for this build. Thanks!
Yeah I never even heard about those until I started searching for the dual headlights lol. They do look very nice and aggressive too. If I had known about them before I might have used them instead because they look awesome.
I can't wait to see what you end up doing with the lights!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #164 (Edited)
Well I know I said it would be a couple weeks before more updates but the weather has taken a turn for the worse and now it is freezing up here Freezing Gif.gif .
So that means I have more time to work on the bike instead of riding it.....plus I just miss you guys already :p

Anyways this is just a small update but it actually changed the looks of the bike a fair amount. I had purchased some red rim tape a while back but wanted to get everything running good and whatnot before I put it on.
So on Saturday I ended up getting out the heating gun and attempting to warm up the rims to put the tape on. It worked out well and the end result was acceptable...although not perfect. The applicator that came with the tape does not work at all with these rims as it requires a 90 degree angle on the inside edge of the rim and the Reverse Comstars have a taper around this edge. I ended up just holding a pencil to the rim and spinning the tire to mark out an even distance from the edge, then applied the tape by hand. The final product isn't perfectly spherical but you could never notice it standing there or when the tire is spinning.

The tape. Purchased from Royal Distributing but can be found online and in many other recreational sports stores.

IMG_8880.JPG

The rear tire:

IMG_8889.JPG

The front tire:

IMG_8891.JPG

What is really nice about this tape is also the fact that it is reflective. In the dark (and even in the day as this stuff works really well) any light that hits the rims lights them up beautifully! This is a great functional and good looking upgrade to let people see you easier.
I tried to take a picture, and even with the small flash from my phone it set the rims on fire:

IMG_8894.JPG

And two final pictures outside in the light. Assuming the weather does not get any better I will start to work cleaning up the hideous rear end:

IMG_8896.JPG

IMG_8895.JPG

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Just a suggestion, a strip of that tape along the bottom edge of the gas tank might look nice and break up that huge amount of black at the middle of the bike.

I do like how the wheels reflect the light now to, anything to make you more visible at night!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Go faster tape works even better than sticker power!

Looks good man, ties the red together.

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Just a suggestion, a strip of that tape along the bottom edge of the gas tank might look nice and break up that huge amount of black at the middle of the bike.

I do like how the wheels reflect the light now to, anything to make you more visible at night!
Shhhhhhhhhh........you might give away my tank design ;)

Yeah my thoughts exactly!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #168

·
Registered
370 Posts
Wow, I really like that! Weird, I had some "pre-dream" thoughts last night and I was considering what this would look like. You answered it for me...better than I could imagine :)

Very nice!

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
Wow, I really like that! Weird, I had some "pre-dream" thoughts last night and I was considering what this would look like. You answered it for me...better than I could imagine :)

Very nice!
LOL, all of us Cx500 owners must be interconnected as one :p Thanks, I'm glad you like it though! Like santafepilot said it helps to bring it all together. I am trying not to overdo it too much on the red parts....but I think the last few remaining pieces should bring it all together even more...hopefully :icon_silent:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hah.. I was going to do the same thing with my rims.. Except in a different color.. Looks really good.. Bike stands out now..

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Hah.. I was going to do the same thing with my rims.. Except in a different color.. Looks really good.. Bike stands out now..
Well you know what they say, great minds think alike lol. I agree, it makes the bike look a bit bolder. I am sure something similar would look great on your bike as well.....teal or bright orange maybe? :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #173
It's so cold out :( but I shall suck it up and ride for a bit longer just because it's so much fun! Bike is running good, no real issues that I can find.
While at work all I can think about is what the next mod is. I am trying to make sure that everything I do looks good but more importantly, still retains functionality. I want a bike I can ride and not just look at after all.

So while I ponder in my head about this and that I decided to start a little "side" project. It's really more of a tool for myself as I design the rear of the bike. I have a few ideas kicking around but I want to be able to view and tweak them to see how they look.
I am about 40% done but want to make sure that it all looks good as I will be printing and framing the end result (and maybe get some extra prints done if anyone is interested). Plus I can only work on it a bit each day so progress is slow. But for now I thought I would share what I am working on as I figure you guys might be interested. I just scribbled a tarp (looks bad I know) on top to cover up some things, but mostly to hide all the stuff that isn't done yet lol.

So here is a little teaser of my project:

Teaser.png

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #174
Well I have been fooling around with ideas for the rear of the bike for some time now and finally have a plan that I can work towards. At the beginning of my build I purchased some LED light strips that were waterproof and flexible. I tested them out and found them to be fairly bright, but was unsure if they would be alright to use as brake lights. After looking around a bit more I found a similar strip, but with lots more LED's and on two rows rather than one. The LED's themselves aren't as bright as the single row ones, but the shear number of them make it a lot brighter. I plan to use some combination of the two for running lights and brake lights. This should also help to give a nice clean read end which is what I am looking for.

The LED's:

IMG_8950.JPG

With power:

IMG_8946.JPG

Reactions: ahcolburn

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
I figure I must be boring you guys by now with all this daydreaming and design stuff lol, but I am at it again, trying to come up with some potential tank ideas. I started coming up with ideas a while ago but as the build has been progressing I start to change my mind on this and that.

So without further ado....I give you some of my failed designs. I either didn't like them, couldn't draw them on the computer or figured they would be too tough to paint. I tried to do two color combinations of each design to see what would look best too, but in the end they all sucked :undecided: .

The one I am currently working on seems to be a winner though. It's got a classic feel to it with a slight modern touch, and is nice and subtle so it should match the bike a lot better than any of these ones. It also may (or may not) have parts that you guys have suggested. That design shall be kept under lock and key until I am done it though, or unless I can come up with a better design.

Design #1: As an engineering student the concept of clockwork and gears fascinates me. I was going to incorporate this into the tank, but didn't think it was very practical. After numerous attempts at getting anything decent I decided not to do it, as it doesn't match the style of the bike either. Plus the headache of all the shading, stencils, etc... made me rethink that it was a dumb idea.

Tank Style 1.png

Design #2: In order to match the style of the bike a bit better I decided that maybe the Honda wing and logo would look good, as I have seen it on some bikes before. But I felt like it was too close to the original styling and didn't have that "modern" feel to it, so it was back to the drawing board.

Tank Style 2.png

Design #3: Trying to get back to that old-meets-new feel, I ditched the Honda wing and just opted for some weird designs. After numerous designs, and with each one turning out more ugly than the last, I decided to let it go to rest and once again was back to brainstorming.

Tank Style 3.png

Design #4: Going back to something really old-school, I (attempted) to draw some old style flames. I didn't like them, they didn't match anything about the bike and are fairly common. Soooooo another one bites the dust.

Tank Style 4.png

Design #5: Probably the best design I could come up with yet. I figured the bike needed a "lighter" feel to it and this tank would do just that. Somewhat modern but still has the old feel to it. It was a tough choice to let this one go, but in the end I felt that it might attract too much attention to my otherwise subtle bike.

Tank Style 5.png

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any other ideas! (Also, I am by no means a graphic artist of any kind, so please forgive the amateur look of the drawings)

Reactions: Volaussie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #177
I still think you should go with design 5.. :D
Yeah you should've heard my little sister squeal with excitement when I showed her that design LOL :p

·
Registered
853 Posts
Change the colour of the gears to gold, then lets see....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #180
Let's start a poll. We decide what tank you have to take
Not a bad idea....but I feel like most people would choose design #5 lol :p

Change the colour of the gears to gold, then lets see....
I have just learned that gold is a hard color to get right on the computer haha, This is the best I could do. Would look cool on a steam punk style build, or even in a black and gold color scheme throughout the bike. Unfortunately with the red and black I have going currently I don't think it would match that well, but anyone is more than welcome to use it as a reference!

Picture17.png

161 - 180 of 997 Posts