Honda CX 500 Forum banner

141 - 160 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
if it is still out of the bike pull the cover do it now

that is a pretty normal place for the gasket to shrink and draw in or if the vents have become plugged ever or the cylinder head tubes plugged

the motor will spit the gasket out from windage
Sorry I should have clarified that the zoomed out picture is from before. The engine is in the bike right now.

But it looks like I can still get to the front cover without taking the engine out. Is this possible? or would a bit of silicon work for now until the snow falls?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
Also, what are some good things to check before I take this thing down the street and back. Tires, oil, signals, brakes, leaks....anything else?

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
It can be done, but I expect you'll remove a little paint pulling the cover past the front engine hanger.

I have the same concern with the sealant. When it comes time to scrape it off, you may damage the new paint.

R

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
It can be done, but I expect you'll remove a little paint pulling the cover past the front engine hanger.

I have the same concern with the sealant. When it comes time to scrape it off, you may damage the new paint.

R
Oh yeah that's true. But at least it can be done without taking the engine out. I would've like to keep the paint perfect but there are already a few marks from things scratching it so a few more won't make that big of a deal.
I cleaned the area and put a bit of silicon into the space between the case and block. I tried to wipe up as much excess as possible so it would minimize the damage to the paint once I do replace the gasket (sometime this winter if the sealant holds). Thanks for the help Randall!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #145 (Edited)
Okay, last update until the snow falls because I plan to ride this thing till I'm frozen lol. Then when I can't ride anymore I will continue with the build as much as I can, but seeing as I have no more funds to put on this project (School and my car are sucking me dry :fatigue:) it may be a slow process. It will get done though! I will post updates as they come up, but the big changes won't happen till winter.

Engine:
So I got that leak sorted out, but there is still a small one from a bit higher up that I am working on pinpointing. Aside from that she runs AMAZING :tongue9: Starts up perfectly every time, idles nicely and has a much snappier throttle response. No hesitation all through the rpm range in any gear. The previous engine had started to suffer with issues where it would stall randomly and not pass 5k RPM (which might have been a carb issue but I think that engine was on it's way out a long time ago. It was badly mistreated before me and I also did some stupid things to it and I have since learned from my mistakes).
The biggest thing I noticed right away is that there is not near as much vibration as the old engine. That and it seems to pull a lot more and just runs so much better. Thanks again Kameron for the engine! I will make sure to treat it very well.

Cooling System:
The temp gauge seems to be working great as when it reads 80 degrees Celsius the e-fan kicks in like it should. And man, does that thing work great! It keeps the temps down a billion times better than the old mechanical one did and seems to be much more reliable. When I'm sitting there idling and it's going I can feel the air being pushed into my legs which the old mechanical one never did. I haven't gotten a temp over 200 degrees F yet, and the weather has been 30 degrees C (86 degrees F) or so when I was riding.
The sending unit doesn't appear to be leaking, but I will take the tank off tonight to make sure.

Comfort:
The riding position isn't that uncomfortable but it's definitely not an upright one. I could ride for a couple hours before needing a break, which is fine for my driving habits. I think the biggest thing is I need to get new rear shocks as the jolt from the bumps does not feel that nice. That and a nice new seat.....maybe for Christmas.....

Lighting and Indicators:
Lights all work good and the headlight is plenty bright in the dark. The halo just looks sick too and you can tell it is one of the first thing people notice when they see the bike running.
The dash lights are bright enough usually, especially the signals and oil light, but the neutral light is a bit dim in really bright sunlight. It's nice because they're not blinding at night though. Very pleased with how they function and look.

Mufflers and Exhaust:
The sound of the bike is really nice since I repacked the baffles and added the hair catchers to the ends. Much more of a rumble and not as poppy. If I get the chance I'll post a vid of it running.

Carbs:
I currently have the carbs jetted at 90/120 which seems to be working alright with the adjustment screw on both carbs at 2.5 turns out. No dead spots and plenty of power for me, but I will check the plugs tonight to confirm and adjust accordingly.
Next year, if I have the funds, you all know the next step.......It starts with "get" and ends with "Murrays carbs" :eek:nthego:

Those are the main points I can think of but if anyone is curious about any other aspect or part let me know and I'll do my best to help out any way I can.

I was finally able to get some decent pictures of it outside on Saturday but won't be taking any real beauty shots until it's all done (probably next year or the year after). No sense showing it off too much right now anyways as it still has a long ways to go.
But from what it was before to how it is now I have to say it looks, handles and rides like a new bike now and I couldn't be happier! :D

I adjusted the valve clearance and cam chain so while the covers were off I painted them:

IMG_8855.JPG

The "beauty" shots. Need to clean the rims and a whole bunch of other stuff as well lol:

IMG_8859.JPG

IMG_8861.JPG

IMG_8862.JPG

Thanks for all your positive feedback, all your help and just the chance to talk with some of you great guys out there! I will be back updating the build in a few weeks or so but will still respond to all your questions and comments as soon as I can. Enjoy the remaining days of the riding season and stay safe!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
That looks great, Micah! I like the glossy black. :)
Thanks Hurley! :D It ended up being that some parts are gloss, others semi gloss and some are even matte which gives a nice contrast I think.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I love where you went with this build and it turned out amazing! Awesome job! As we discussed before, I hope to ride along side you some day. Just don't crack that throttle, you'd likely leave me in the dust lol.

Gorgeous bike!

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #149
I love where you went with this build and it turned out amazing! Awesome job! As we discussed before, I hope to ride along side you some day. Just don't crack that throttle, you'd likely leave me in the dust lol.

Gorgeous bike!
Thanks again Cliff! I still have lots to do so you'll have plenty of cheering to do in the coming months :p
It would be an honor to ride beside you as well! If you're ever in Ontario look me up, and if I ever head down your way it would be a treat to meet you in person.
Nah I am still what most people would call a noob so no throttle cracking for me.....that is...until I get Murrays carbs....then it's anyones game :D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey MotoMicha, just read through your build, so far well done!

Like Randal said, attention to detail makes a great build! And you seem to have it mate, great job on you hand made parts. I have access to almost every manufacturing machine possible to make parts, but there is something to be said about good looking parts made with hand tools, so again great job!

I'm a bit jealous that you beat me to the engine paint color, but yours turned out awesome, so I will still be using it, just not using red or painting the Valve covers.

Now get out and enjoy it, while you can!

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey there Motomicah, where did you find those turn signals and the headlight? I really like the way they look. Send me a message when you get a chance.

Thanks.

Im looking at possibly using that for my project bike.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Welcome to the forum Bizz2014!

If you look/read through the rest of Micha's build thread, you will find a link that he kindly posted already.

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt

·
Registered
231 Posts
Beautiful work and great documentation! I'm going to look up that halo headlight and see if the company makes smaller versions for duals. Thank you for the education!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Hey MotoMicha, just read through your build, so far well done!

Like Randal said, attention to detail makes a great build! And you seem to have it mate, great job on you hand made parts. I have access to almost every manufacturing machine possible to make parts, but there is something to be said about good looking parts made with hand tools, so again great job!

I'm a bit jealous that you beat me to the engine paint color, but yours turned out awesome, so I will still be using it, just not using red or painting the Valve covers.

Now get out and enjoy it, while you can!

Na-Zdrowie!
-Matt
Hey thanks a bunch Matt!! What the pictures don't show is the little defects of each handmade part lol :p You are lucky to have access to those machines though! It would have saved me hours and hours of cutting and drilling and would've turned out much nicer parts. We do have a few machines at work but i just feel more comfortable at home listening to music while drilling into a giant chunk of metal with a hand drill lol. Once school starts up again I will have access to a few mills and lathes though so I might go back and make a few parts again to get rid of that "handmade" look.

Thanks again, it did turn out pretty good and has been holding up well so far with oil and coolant dripping on it. It can chip if it's cold, but when it gets hot it almost turns soft and rubbery so it resists chips and whatnot when you're riding.
And you go right ahead and paint yours the same color, half of the things on my bike have been taken from other builds and I would consider it a compliment if my build served as inspiration for others :)

Oh I am lol, it's been two long since I've ridden on two wheels. Your build is coming along great too btw! I've been following it for a while now and love those brass accent pieces! I can tell you have an eye for details as well and I must say I am looking forward to your updates a lot. I must also admit that your fabrication skills are a lot better than mine though.....but I shall catch up eventually lol.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #155 (Edited)
Hey there Motomicah, where did you find those turn signals and the headlight? I really like the way they look. Send me a message when you get a chance.

Thanks.

Im looking at possibly using that for my project bike.
PM sent, as well as what LazerHead said you can find the links to all the stuff I bought on page 3 of this thread

Oh yeah, and welcome to the forum too! This place has loads of information and the people here are all great!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #156 (Edited)
Beautiful work and great documentation! I'm going to look up that halo headlight and see if the company makes smaller versions for duals. Thank you for the education!
Thanks chaetophile! I found a few lights that may be what you're looking for. They would look awesome on your build! Not all have the halos, but the style is similar in some cases.

Motorcycle Twin Headlight with Side Light 4 5" Side Mounted E Marked | eBay
Motorcycle Billet Alloy Twin Side Mount Headlights E Marked | eBay
projector headlights motorcycle Reviews - Online Shopping Reviews on projector headlights motorcycle | Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group (this link has a few different types of projector lenses but they might work)

Edit: Feel no obligation to even look at these lights. Half of the fun of doing a build is buying and looking for your own items so enjoy your search :p

·
Registered
8,917 Posts
And you go right ahead and paint yours the same color...
I bought a can of Duplicolor Cast Iron a while ago for my project engine. (My project isn't progressing, so it's still unused.) After seeing your comparison, I'll probably go with the VHT.

My current plan is to paint the frame an aluminum color, with the body work in red and white to mimic the CR125 donor. I thought the engine would be a nice contrast in gun metal, with the exhaust flat black.

R

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #158
I bought a can of Duplicolor Cast Iron a while ago for my project engine. (My project isn't progressing, so it's still unused.) After seeing your comparison, I'll probably go with the VHT.

My current plan is to paint the frame an aluminum color, with the body work in red and white to mimic the CR125 donor. I thought the engine would be a nice contrast in gun metal, with the exhaust flat black.

R
Yeah I am much happier with the VHT color. In terms of quality I have used both brands and they both seem to work great, it was strictly for color that I chose the VHT over the Duplicolor.
That will look amazing I think!! Good luck and keep me posted on the progress.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Your bikes looking very good so far! Love that paint job you did to the emblems on the engine! Thanks for the shout out to :)

Reactions: Motomicah
141 - 160 of 997 Posts