Honda CX 500 Forum banner

121 - 140 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Looking good!

Tell your Supervisor that your forum buddies are anxious to see where this goes and that you need more "on bike time" during the work day :)
Lol I will make sure to pass the message along! I agree though, definitely more "on bike time" is needed during the day. A couple hours a night is not near enough. It really helps that he is a bike guy as well though....as it also means I can use a lot of the tools from work to do personal projects with :D

I got a lot done this weekend and took lots of pictures for the photo-hungry crowd on here haha. I will post them tomorrow along with the updates. Of course I'll spread them out throughout the day though...it's fun to tease you guys :p

Reactions: CliffD

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Okay, first of the updates from the weekend. I managed to finish up the brackets on Friday evening. I ground them down the best I could, but wasn't happy with the finish of the rounded section on top. So it was time for me to try my hand at using Bondo. Lessons learned; keep it spread out while you're working with it or it hardens very fast. Wasted half a can of the stuff :angry:

So the parts all sanded and ready for paint:

IMG_8791.JPG

After primer and some semi-gloss black:

IMG_8792.JPG

Just trying to show how it mounts:

IMG_8794.JPG

Time to mount the indicators/dummy lights:

IMG_8797.JPG

and the temp gauge:

IMG_8798.JPG

After it was all said and done this is what it looks like mounted. It turned out alright, but I might purchase a smaller temp gauge later and try to make it look a bit sleeker, but for now it's fine. What a lot of work for such a little part lol:

IMG_8799.JPG

IMG_8807.JPG

IMG_8808.JPG

And a bit wider shot:

IMG_8802.JPG

·
Registered
370 Posts
Woah, that looks awesome! I had high expectations, but you just blew that away! Very, very impressive :)

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Woah, that looks awesome! I had high expectations, but you just blew that away! Very, very impressive :)
Thanks Cliff! :D Hopefully it all works out well.
I will upload a video of the lights working as soon as possible too.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #125 (Edited)
Here is the video of the lights working:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #126 (Edited)
Cleaned the carbs again on Saturday. They were out of the bike already and can never be too clean, plus I had gotten an ultrasonic cleaner along with the engine and wanted to try it out.
All the components on the bench:

IMG_8812.JPG

All cleaned up and ready to be put back in the bike:

IMG_8814.JPG

Next small thing to do was find a place to put the choke knob. I couldn't use the old mount as the new gauges were in the way now, so I had to made another little bracket to mount the choke on the bolt hole where the original gauges mounted. It's not the best placement, but it is within reach and doesn't bind which is all I need. I will probably move this later on but for now it works good.
The bracket:

IMG_8829.JPG

All mounted up.

IMG_8830.JPG

Reactions: CliffD and OCR

·
Registered
387 Posts
Real clean looking dash. Temp gauge is big enough to see it, I'd say keep it!

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Real clean looking dash. Temp gauge is big enough to see it, I'd say keep it!
Thanks! Yeah you do have a point. Plus I am worried about the digital one not being that visible in the daylight. It stays for now though as I don't want to remake anything any time soon lol

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Alright last update of the day. Got the carbs put in last night and put the mufflers on as well. Filled up the coolant and oil and tried to prime the oil pump but could not get the oil light to turn off. I have a few things to try tonight but hopefully I don't have to take off the front of the engine as well. I did want to see if it started up though, and after turning it over a couple times she fired right up!!! I was so relieved when I heard that slow rumble again. Seems like it's been ages. Time to celebrate :eek:ccasion18: well not quite....there is a small oil leak from the top part of the front case that I have to figure out, as well as solve the oil-light-always-on issue. But....the engine runs and I couldn't be happier. After I sort that stuff out I will check the valve gaps and set the camchain tensioner. Then it's off to ride till snow falls because I missed this whole season basically :crybaby2:

Anyways, some more pictures as always. Just some of the bike put all back together:

IMG_8831.JPG

IMG_8833.JPG

IMG_8835.JPG

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
did you have the front cover off the motor? the transmission cover ?
I didn't take the front cover off aside from the clutch cover. But there was some sealant around the one top edge so it looks like the PO might have tried to fix the leak before. Upon closer inspection though it looks like the leak is a bit lower near the bottom of the case. I will find the exact location tomorrow and see if I stop it for now until I get a chance to take the front cover off.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Bad idea to run it at all without determining why the oil light stays on. It doesn't take long without oil pressure to wreck an engine.

R
Yeah I realize that now. I ended up taking out the sensor and turning the bike on and the light stayed on so I am guessing there is either a short in the line somewhere or I hooked up the light wrong some how. Hopefully the pump was actually working then. I will run a separate wire tonight and Murray is going to talk me through some tests to make sure that the pump is working before I start it any more.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
So the reason why the oil light always stayed on is because it was hooked straight to 12v and then straight to ground, making it just a pretty light that was always on. I had gotten the right turn signal negative wire and the oil sensor wire mixed up :stupid:
to test this theory I tried to prime the engine again and sure enough, the right turn signal dummy light went out. I swapped the wires and it works like a charm now. I'm glad that got sorted out, and that also means that when I ran it for the couple seconds before it was most likely working which is very lucky!

I still have that little leak from the front though. Any suggestions aside from putting a bit of silicon on the area?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
take a picture and show us the oil leak

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
take a picture and show us the oil leak
Will get a picture tonight or tomorrow. It seems to be from the top left side (facing the bike) in between the front case and engine block. Guessing it's just a split in the gasket or something similar. It only leaks when the bike is running which means it is most likely above the oil level when the bike is sitting. It's not like the oil is gushing out, but its a drop of oil every 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
Okay finally got some pictures where the leak is coming from. It is from the top corner of the case. From what I have read that is usually where the gasket starts to let go.
What I am wondering, is if it is okay to put a bit of silicon on it for now, or should I take the whole front cover off and replace the gasket? I will do that eventually for sure, but if I can get a few rides out of it with the silicon that would be awesome.
Any feedback or advice is welcome!!

IMG_8847.JPG

IMG_8845.JPG

Edit: Here is a better shot of where the location is:

IMG_85032.jpg

·
Registered
24,197 Posts
if it is still out of the bike pull the cover do it now

that is a pretty normal place for the gasket to shrink and draw in or if the vents have become plugged ever or the cylinder head tubes plugged

the motor will spit the gasket out from windage

121 - 140 of 997 Posts