Honda CX 500 Forum banner

921 - 940 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #921
My thoughts exactly Howitzer21! This forum is the best thing since sliced bread!

And thanks for the compliments! I am glad too lol :D

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #922
So the weather around here hasn't been that nice the past few days and as such I haven't taken the bike out since the last ride. But the issue with the fuses got me thinking about storage on my bike and an emergency breakdown kit. Since I put the rear hump on I have a bit of storage now, but I was just shoving things in there and it wasn't that elegant of an approach. So I thought of a way to make things a bit more refined: a drawer that fits in the space inside the hump.

So I modeled up the drawer in SolidWorks so that it would slide in and out nicely. I finished the model and printed it out, but had forgotten to remove some material from the profile so the drawer didn't go all the way in the hump. So I made a little adjustment and am printing out the second version now.

Here are some renders of the model:

Hump Drawer 1.JPG

Hump Drawer 2.JPG

So now I must ask, along with some fuses, zip ties, tape and string, what are some other things you guys would recommend carrying along on the bike?

Reactions: brooktini86 and OCR

·
Registered
252 Posts
I carry my Leatherman Wave, spare fuses and spark plugs with me.
Two years ago I saw a guy at our annual bike fare with rescue tape. That stuff looked really handy.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
In addition to what most have already mentioned, from experience I always now carry a very tiny 20,000 mAh power bank/ pack as well as a few Percocets. The power bank I use for charging my phone, GPS, etc if I've unknowingly used up more than I expected and for emergency use. I just feel uneasy being stranded in the wee hours of the night with one bar on my phone. Also, if you ever do need CAA, trust me, you'll be on hold for a very long time using up your charge on your phone. When I broke my back last year with my bike, the first rider that came to my aid was a woman that handed me a few Percocets and thank God she did. From what I understand, it should be given immediately after any severe back or neck injury as it will relax the muscles some and you do not cause more damage to the areas around it. She doesn't ride without a few ever.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #926
That's fantastic information guys thanks so much!

Randall, I will definitely do some research and see what tools came in the original tool kit (I remember seeing a list somewhere) and fit as many as I can on the bike! And good call on the fuel line, never know when you'll need that!

Spark plugs are a good call too Volaussie, I have a spare set sitting around so I will throw those in too! I might also throw in my pocket knife too, handy to have.

And another good call on the power bank Chocolatelvis, I have one sitting around that has a hand crank on it too so if I ever forget to charge it then at least I will have some emergency power. It is too big to fit in the rear hump, but I might see if I can fit it under the seat. And I would have never thought about Percocets, that is a very smart idea to have in case of a bad injury. I will definitely be picking some of those up and throwing them on the bike as well!

Thanks again for all the tips guys, I really should have done this sooner! But hopefully next time I break down I will be a bit more prepared.

Reactions: OCR and Volaussie

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
I like the tray, you can shape it with compartments to fit different wrenches and a set of plugs.
JIS screwdriver, metric wrenches in sizes from 9mm to 17mm. It also includes the spanner for the shocks on the Custom and Standard.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #928
Ooooo I like that thought too, making custom holders for the wrenches! I wish I had a bit more space in there, that's really the only limiting factor for how many things I can put on the bike.
Now that you guys have listed all these great things, I may need to take a look see at the bottom of the electrical pan and see what I can throw under there. Maybe design a custom case that locks into place on the bike and is low profile enough to not notice...........I think I have my next project :eagerness:

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^
Ha! Ha!
I was just going from memory, not with it in front of me!
:sorry:

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #931
So school is finally finishing up for me, which means the next three weeks or so will be brutal with projects and exams, so not much will get done on the bike. But I wanted to show off the hump drawer now that it is ready to go.

Freshly printed out in PLA this time as it won't get as hot as the hump being that it is not in direct sunlight. It will still withstand heat up to 200°C though so I don't think deforming will be an issue.

20160730_110413.jpg

20160730_110424.jpg

I wanted to add a bit of color to make it pop, so I taped off the area around the letters:

20160730_111235.jpg

Then shot it with a few coats of red paint, sanded down as best I could to get the letters crisp, and gave it a few coats of clear. A nice wetsand and polish and here she is, almost ready to be mounted on the bike:

20160802_180411.jpg

The last step was to add a little pull tab to the bottom to grab onto, and also add some fabric on the bottom so it slides in and out nice as well as dampens it so it doesn't rattle around:

20160802_180430.jpg

A nice and snug fit on the bike:

20160802_180543.jpg

So now I have a few compartments for smaller components like fuses, string, tape, meds and spark plugs. Next step is to buy all the components for a "full" tool kit and work on modelling the case that will hold those! Sadly, like I mentioned at the beginning, that might not happen for a few weeks :(

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #932
Well now that school is done, life seems busier than ever! I have been super busy looking for jobs, helping out around the house and spending time with the family. I haven't had much time to work on the bike, and just enjoy a few hours here and there riding it.

Unfortunately, right now the bike is out of commission again due to another electrical failure causing the left side to lose spark. I have sent the Rae-San unit back to Ray for repairs, but likely won't have it back for a while. I am also waiting for the old Ignitech to be repaired as well, so the bike sits in the garage for now. I was hoping to get a spot on the ignitech group buy, just to have a spare, but looks like I might've been too late for that.
So if anyone in Canada has an extra Ignitech unit that they are willing to part with, let me know! :D

In regards to the bike tool case I am making, I have bought almost all the tools I plan on putting on the bike, and have begun modelling a rough design. However, it has been a real challenge so far due to the odd shape under the seat, and the various things protruding from the bottom (bolt ends, the regulator, tire guard and tire, etc...). So I have to design around those things, all while ensuring the case is easy to remove and fastens securely. This is probably the hardest thing I have yet to make for the bike surprisingly haha.

This is what I have at the moment. Lots of changes to be made though, including reducing the tire gap in the rear, figuring out mounting points and mounts for all the tools, etc... but you get the general idea and shape.

Tool Case V1 A.JPG

Tool Case V1 B.JPG

I will continue to work on it slowly, and will update you guys if anything really interesting comes up.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Maybe if you kindly ask Kameron to borrow his spare Ignitech until the end of riding season and offer him ciders of his choice, he just may sway in your favour. ;)Long story short, I have been using his at the moment due to testing, but if he does give you the green light and is not planning to use it in the next month or so, I can remove his to lend you, and I can swap mine back in...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #935
You guys really are the best! That's very kind of both of you, and I think I might take you up on the offer Kameron. I sent you a PM just now.

Thanks again for all the help, you guys are lifesavers! :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #936
So a big thank you to Kameron and Chocolatelvis for helping me get back on the road! I can enjoy the cooler weather now that fall is upon us and ride until the snow hits. :D

The 3D modelling is coming along nicely, but super slow as usual haha. I made a few changes to the tool case including reducing the space for the tire, modifying the fit slightly and starting to add the details to hold the tools in place.
I decided I will attach the tool box to the bottom of my bike with a large thumb wheel in the middle and a support system on one or both ends. I will of course use an actual metal nut pressed into the 3D printed part to ensure a tight lock.

Tool Case V2 A.JPG

Then I got to work modeling the spot for the wrenches to go. I decided to make the holder removable from the main case, just so if anything changed I would be able to reprint or fix the one piece rather than the whole case. It's a simple slot design to hold the wrenches in, but should work nicely hopefully.

Tool Case V2 B.JPG

Here is the end view of the wrench holder, you can see it is a separate piece with a little latch to keep it locked down in the case. The slots themselves are tapered so that the wrenches should stay pressed against the bottom and not rattle around.

Tool Case V2 C.JPG

That's all I have done for now, the next step is to model the holders for the rest of the tools and the rest of the mounting system.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #937
Still plugging away at the tool kit slowly. The bike is running fantastic though and I am so happy to be able to ride the season out!!! :D

I have almost completed the 3D model for the tool kit. Just need to make a mount for some needle nose pliers, and then split the took kit apart so it can fit on my 3D printer bed. I plan on reinforcing the whole thing with aluminum rods which I will slide in at the piece joints. Here is another render of where I am at. You can see a lot of different cutouts and slots, but it's too hard to explain what each one is for, so instead you'll just have to wait and see haha.

Tool Case V3 A.JPG

And as some of you might know, we have the Phototag thread going on right now. The last tag was a picture of you riding your bike, and since I didn't have a cameraman handy, I had to take a video and then grab a screenshot. The video ended up being pretty fun to watch though, and I posted it on that thread. I figure I would post it on here too so you guys can really hear what the bike sounds like driving down the road. Let me know what you think!

Reactions: Volaussie and OCR

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #938
So while I keep myself busy with job searching and trying to finish this toolkit thingy, I needed a little side project, just to get my mind working in a different direction. This lead me to realize how keys are one of the more overlooked things in peoples builds. Looking at the key on my bike, it reminded me of a sword. So running with this thought I found my next little project!

First step was 3D modelling the sword handle. I just went with what I felt looked good, and used some reference pictures from online. I made a cutout in the back of each half so that the key would be secure in the handle.

Sword Key.JPG

I then printed out the handle halves, removed the original plastic part on the key, and cut the key to match the cutouts I made in the handle.

20161025_142403.jpg

Next step was attaching the key and handle together, which I accomplished with JB weld for a secure and long lasting hold. Then it was time to paint, so I masked off the key portion.

20161025_164548.jpg

And then I went to town painting it. As stated before, I do not claim to be a good painter, but I did build a lot of scale models in my younger days, so I had some skill with distressing the handle to make it look worn. I also wanted to add a touch of red, to match the bike, so I wrapped the handle in red thread and did my best to distress that as well. All in all I think it turned out really neat! Some people will say it's dumb, or wonder why I did it. I just say I did it because I could :p And if I grow tired of it, I've always got spares!

20161025_194937.jpg

20161025_194558.jpg

20161025_195210.jpg

921 - 940 of 997 Posts