Honda CX 500 Forum banner

881 - 900 of 997 Posts

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #884
Painting.....like I said, I have a love/hate relationship with it......

In order to get the fairing to fit I had to make a few modifications to the back side. This was because I couldn't possibly measure every part of the bike and model it, so some of the shaping had to be done once I had it printed off:

20160527_154516.jpg

And then I got the bright idea to try and use fiberglass bondo to cover the entire outside in order to ensure that the layers didn't separate. I used it on the hump to fill in the sections that had already separated, but didn't actually have any on the overall surface. It sanded down nicely and seemed to look great as you can see from this picture (I sprayed the back side black and sanded off the over spray afterwards):

20160527_211535.jpg

Long story short, DO NOT DO THAT!!! What I didn't realize until I had completely sprayed the entire fairing was that the fiberglass bondo doesn't stick very well to the smooth ABS plastic. I had sanded down the bondo and blew through on one section (which normally wouldn't have been an issue) and after all the layers of paint had been sprayed on, and a few thicker coats of clear coat applied, I laid the part outside to fully dry as I've done many times before. Went and did a few things and came back to this monstrosity:

20160530_142106.jpg

Yes, what you are looking at is a massive bubble and a huge pain in the rear! After looking at it and deciding it wasn't worth trying to fix as other bubbles may appear later on, I cut open the hole and that's when I discovered that the fiberglass had lifted off the plastic and created the bubble. My best guess would be that there was a tiny air bubble under the fiberglass where I had sanded through and when I applied the coats of clear it softened it and in the sun the air expanded and blew up. So the only logical thing was to yell and throw the thing across the room. But after gaining my composer I figured I may as well suck it up and get back at it. So what you see in the next picture is the result of many hours of prep and painting, not to mention about $60 worth of paint and supplies. Turned out lovely didn't it <_<

20160530_151403.jpg

So in conclusion.....don't do what I did!
I quickly ran off to the store and got some more supplies and paint so I shall continue with the fairing over the next few days, and hopefully nothing goes wrong this time.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #885
After finally getting the motivation to repaint the fairing, I was quite pleased with how it turned out the second time around. I followed the same process as with the gas tank and rear hump. Starting with silver, masking off, painting black, then the marble effect and lastly the red. Here are a few pictures of the process:

20160531_214504.jpg

20160601_134011.jpg

And after clear coating and a ton of sanding and polishing, here is the finished result:

20160602_213848.jpg

20160602_214452.jpg

Overall I think it looks pretty good, a few little mishaps here and there, but nothing I can't live with. Once again, when the Rae-San unit comes in I'll be able to take the bike out and get some nice pictures for you all!

On a bit more of a serious note, I mentioned a while ago that my dad had suffered a pretty severe stroke which left him in very rough condition and unable to move his entire right side or speak coherently. Along with the stroke came a number of issues in the hospital including pneumonia and the discovery of a heart condition which kept him on life support for around a month. All of these complications set him back a lot, and it is turning out to be a long road to recovery. He is doing well overall, but is unable to work and provide for the family, so a lot of responsibilities have been placed on my mom as well as myself and my two siblings. The reason why I mentioned this now is because our aunts have just set up a GoFundMe page that people are able to donate in order to help out with the rehabilitation, living expenses and traveling costs associated with his recovery. Here is the link to the page if anyone is interested in making a donation: https://www.gofundme.com/28jwwrt8
Thank you all from the bottom of our hearts!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #886
Look what came in!!!!! :D

20160608_172801.jpg

Initial impressions:
- I really like what Rayman decided to do with adding the connector and ground terminal! Saves a lot of time trying to find the connector.
- The 3D printed case covers the circuit nicely and doesn't add much bulk. I might not even bother printing my own case anymore as I don't want to take up much more space.
- Slightly larger than the ignitech unit but still fits into the same place (rearranged some wires).
- Wire colors differed slightly from the instructions, but position and layout was the same so no issues figuring out which was which.
- Very easy to install. Added bullet connectors and made a small in-line wire splice at the same place as the ignitech to give the unit 12V switched. Total install time was about 1 hour.

I wired it up and got the bike to start fairly easy. Without riding yet, the throttle does seem a bit more punchy and smooth. I will take it for a test ride tomorrow for a few hours, and if everything looks and feels good I will be putting Murray's carbs on in the afternoon!!!
I will post back with my feedback of both the Rae-San unit and Murray's carbs.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #887
Got the bike up and running good now! So time for an update. Here is where the Rae-San unit went, same place as the ignitech before:

20160609_113923.jpg

After testing the Rae-San unit to make sure the spark problem was resolved (it was, the unit seemed to work great with both cylinders operating smoothly!) it was time to mount the oh-so-sweet carbs!
Installation went well, the longest part was taking out the old carbs and then deciding the route for the new cable. And the routing of the new throttle cable is IMPORTANT! Make sure to route the cables over the rear engine hanging mounts and along the top of the frame. Any pinch, especially around the top of the carbs, is not good, and in my case gave me a bit of an idling issue. A quick correction from Murray set me straight and I got them running good now!

20160609_161014.jpg

Now, if you are not aware of how Mikuni carbs work versus the stock CV carbs, do yourself a favor and either read up on it or contact Murray. I did not do this and in my ignorance I learned how dumb I really am lol. Short summary, the CV carb slides move based on the vacuum created by the cylinders, while the Mikuni slides are operated mechanically. What this means is a lot more control of the throttle, but also means you have a bit more responsibility. Unlearned me used to accelerate from low RPM's fast by cracking the throttle, and the engine would then work itself out to catch up and accelerate when it was ready. This silly method of driving doesn't work so well when you decide to crack the throttle at low RPM's with the Mikuni's and essentially create two giant vacuum leaks. In case you're wondering, that stalls the engine out. So the best advise I can give is to ride for a while and get used to how the carbs work, and what limits they have, making sure to test how fast you can roll on the throttle. Once you get a handle for how fast you can punch the throttle, and what RPM's work best for your style of riding, you will definitely be smiling away! Once you get above 4500 RPM you can really push the bike, and man does it fly! Getting to 150 km/h never felt so smooth and fast!!! I am waiting for some new spark plug caps so I can throw in some iridium plugs and tune them for a bit more power with the help of Murray, but for now I ride :)

Anyways, enough of the rant, time for some pictures!!!

First things, here is what the headlight fairing looks like mounted up. It was a snug fit, but with some sticky Velcro it holds on nicely:

20160603_142055.jpg

And now that I was able to get out and ride around, I stopped for a few pictures:

20160611_133703-01.jpg

20160611_151718-01.jpg

20160611_151819-01.jpg

Overall I think the rear hump and seat look fantastic! The fairing I have mixed emotions about as I do kind of like the bare headlight look. For now though I like how it looks more complete and gives the bike a bit more color. Let me know what you guys think!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good job, it looks "complete" with the fairing. Nice colour tie across the bike. It's a complete package. Well done.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #889
Good job, it looks "complete" with the fairing. Nice colour tie across the bike. It's a complete package. Well done.
Thanks Adoom! :) We shall have to meet up some time and you can see it in person!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Looks great! I like the fairing, big enough to the job and not too big.

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
353 Posts
micah - no need for additional case - everything there is encased in epoxy - so you should be fine !
good to hear all is well -

zoom zoom -

rayman

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #892
Looks great! I like the fairing, big enough to the job and not too big.
Thanks so much! That's exactly what I was going for, so I'm glad I hit the nail on the head :D

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #893
micah - no need for additional case - everything there is encased in epoxy - so you should be fine !
good to hear all is well -

zoom zoom -

rayman
Yeah I was originally going to print a case just to cover up the circuit portion, but with the cover you designed looking great and doing exactly what I wanted there was no need to :) It's a great little unit you've designed, and I hope a lot of others give it a try!
Thanks again for all the help, it's great to have the bike up and running again!!!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #894
Note to self: "Only use Velcro to attach non-important parts to bike"

The reason why I say that? I was out for a ride, everything going smoothly, bike running great, perfect weather, and then *BAM*.....off flies my headlight fairing :hopelessness:

Luckily it was on a back road and didn't hit anything aside from the asphalt. And the damage is bad enough, but could have been a lot worse too:

20160714_143852.jpg

20160714_143817.jpg

The worst part was it broke into three pieces along the seams where I attached the parts together. All of it has road rash, but luckily the top portion isn't too bad and I should be able to fix with a bit of wet-sanding. The two bottom pieces though will have to be redone and I might actually reprint new parts that have a more sturdy way of mounting so it doesn't happen again. The issue is, I have no idea what I can attach to up front aside from the headlight. Ideally I would like it to be bolted on, but I was looking for a while and couldn't figure out a way to mount it. I will look into it a bit more tomorrow, but for now I ride with the naked headlight again -_-

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #896
Yeah that's what I was thinking, but the problem is the brackets I have don't have a hole for the indicators:

003_-_BLACK_RAZOR_STREETFIGHTER_CNC_MACHINED_ALUMINIUM_HEADLIGHT_BRACKETS.jpg

That being said though, I might still be able to use the cutouts to mount. I should be able to measure them up and extrude a piece that fits in them nicely and bolts to the fairing.
But I like the idea, I think it's a good start. Thanks buddy! :D

·
Registered
242 Posts
BUMMER! Guess I'll scratch velcro off my list of ways to attach things.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Or you could bend a strip of aluminium that gets bolted down under the headlight bolts and gives you something to attach the fairing too. Doesn't even need to be pretty if it's hidden behind the fairing.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #899
BUMMER! Guess I'll scratch velcro off my list of ways to attach things.
Yeah I would only recommend it for something not directly in the wind or something that you're not afraid to have fly off!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #900
Or you could bend a strip of aluminium that gets bolted down under the headlight bolts and gives you something to attach the fairing too. Doesn't even need to be pretty if it's hidden behind the fairing.
Hmmmmm, that is actually another really great idea! If that is the case I might even be able to reuse the bottom portions and just drill holes in them. I like the way you think dbjac! I just have to get the motivation to do it now haha

881 - 900 of 997 Posts